Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Vegan Pumpkin Dog Cake can be enjoyed by dogs and people alike! It’s lightly sweetened and dairy free, so you both can enjoy this treat on your dog’s special day.
Ohhhh Layla—HOW are you already 3 years old? Besides telling you how great and cute and perfect you are, I also want to thank you.
Thank you for giving me a minimum of 25 kisses every day. I don’t necessarily need them but…. jk I do need them.
With that said, thank you for being as needy as I am. I’m glad we’re almost always on the same page.
Thank you for being SO friendly—your friendliness reminds me that it’s ok to talk to strangers, even if it’s only about you.
Thank you for being my companion when Miguel’s traveling, and basically every other day when I’m by myself. You’re the best (yet also the worst) assistant/co-worker.
Thank you for your energy and therefore forcing me to take you one 1-2 walks every single day. It helps me to get out of the house and up my steps for the day.
Thank you for helping me with the dishes. Because of you, I only have to kind of rinse off the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
Thank you for teaching me patience. Though I’ve wanted to strangle you the few times you’ve started barking during a phone call or the middle of the night, I know you’re just trying to protect me. ….or yourself.
Thank you for your butt wiggles every time I walk through the door and for making me laugh every single day.
And last, thank you for being so patient during this photo shoot, which I’m more than aware you hated every second of. You are the best.
OH GOD I can’t handle aging. I mean, I’m ok with aging myself (ish), but I can’t handle my baby girl turning THREE YEARS OLD. Last year’s dog birthday cake continues to be one of the most popular posts on the blog, which just goes to show how important dogs are to everyone. Sadly, Layla got sick off of the cake I made her last year, which we later determined was due to the eggs.
Though Layla is the opposite of a vegan, I made her this egg-free cake in hopes that she wouldn’t get sick and topped it with brussels sprouts because they’re her favorite vegetable and because I ran out of bone-shaped dog treats. The best part is that this cake is for people too! It’s not too sweet, but just sweet enough so you and your pup can enjoy this cake together. HOW FREAKING ADORABLE, right?
Ok longest post ever! If your dog also has issues with eggs or heck, if you’re vegan and you are selfishly making this cake for yourself but also sort of for your dog, then this vegan pumpkin dog cake recipe is for you!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- For the icing:
- 2/3 cup plain dairy free yogurt or use Greek yogurt if not vegan
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Next, melt coconut oil and then set it aside, allowing it to cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, syrup, and vinegar and stir to combine.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients into one bowl, stirring with an electric mixer. Last, stir in the coconut oil.
- Grease 3 4" cake pans with coconut oil and pour batter evenly into the pans, pounding on the counter a few times so the batter evens out.
- Place pans into the oven and bake cakes for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave cakes in the pans for 10 minutes before carefully inverting them onto a cooling rack. Allow the cakes to cool completely before icing them.
- For the icing, stir yogurt and syrup together. Once cakes have cooled, use a serrated knife to cut the tops of the cake off, and then ice the cake and layer it (alternatively, you can keep the layers separate if you want to have one layer for you, one for your pet and the third for someone else).
- Top cake with your dogs favorite foods, aka cheese, peanut butter or in my case, brussels sprouts.
- Enjoy this cake with your pup on their special day!