This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This Vegan Nutella Cake is made with a two-ingredient “Nutella” and will please vegans and non-vegans alike with its rich taste of both chocolate and hazelnut.
Ohhhh yes, vegan “Nutella” cake is SO happening today. I'm fully aware that traditional Nutella isn't vegan, but to the core, Nutella is simply chocolate and hazelnuts, which is all that my two ingredient Nutella is. Also, sometimes you just need CAKE, and a good one too. If you're vegan or if you have a vegan family member, this is a great cake recipe to take to a party or family gathering to please anything and everyone, no matter what their dietary preference is.
I made this vegan nutella cake over the weekend for my brother’s birthday—I made him this chocolate cake last year, but this year I was all about this rich, moist chocolate-y cake topped with the most perfect chocolate hazelnut icing did the trick!
I mean, if I do say so myself.
NUTELLA CAKE INGREDIENTS
- homemade Nutella
- all purpose flour
- sugar -- cane or granulated sugar
- cocoa powder
- coconut oil -- virgin or unrefined
- dairy free milk -- I used almond milk, but any kind should work
- applesauce -- unsweetened
You'll also need dairy free butter and powdered sugar to make the icing.
EASY VEGAN CAKE RECIPE
This cake is relatively quick to whip up. I used three 6" cake pans, but you could also use one 9" or 10" pan instead if you prefer. The cake is essentially just a chocolate cake, so it's the icing that really makes this recipe stand out. It helps to have the homemade Nutella already prepared. It's ok if you don't, but if you want to make this recipe even quicker, whip up the Nutella the day before. The icing itself is a mixture of "Nutella", butter and powdered sugar and it's to die for!
The icing should be thick and very easy to spread. If for some reason it’s not, add a splash of milk and that should do the trick.
OTHER VEGAN CAKE RECIPES
for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Next, melt coconut oil and set aside, allowing it to cool for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla together; add coconut oil.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients with an electric mixer.
- Next, line three 6" cake pans with coconut oil and then distribute cake batter evenly into pans.
- Bake cakes for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take cakes out of oven and wait 10 minutes before carefully transferring them onto cooling racks, allowing them to cool completely before icing them.
- For the icing: Follow the instructions in this post to make the homemade Nutella. Then, add ¾ cup homemade Nutella to a bowl and stir in the butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
- To assemble: Use a serrated knife to remove "domes" from each cake, making all three cakes flat on the top. Next, place a good amount of icing on the one cake and smooth it out, and then place the second cake on top of the icing layer, and repeat that process for the final layer.
- Then, place icing all along the sides until the whole cake is coated with icing.
- Top with crushed hazelnuts and enjoy!