This Sweet Potato Curry Farro combines two flavors--sweet potatoes and curry paste--into one tasty dinner recipe. It's extra creamy and it's vegan, too!
- A recipe that combines the flavor of curry with farro, sweet potato and spinach
- A meal on it's own, or a side dish to this easy tofu curry or crispy baked tofu
Farro - can sub any kind of rice if you prefer
Sweet potato - no real substitution; could probably use butternut squash, though it will alter the flavor a bit
Curry paste - red curry paste; I almost always use the Thai Kitchen brand because it's easy to find (and delicious!)
Spinach - can sub any greens (kale or bok choy would work well)
One: Cook the potatoes. The first step is to cook the sweet potatoes. You can do this in a variety of ways, either by roasting them, cooking them in the microwave or adding them to a pot of boiling water and cooking until soft.
Two: Sauté. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the curry paste and sauté for 1 minute before adding in the sugar, coconut milk and vegetable broth and bringing mixture to a boil.
Third: Add farro. One the skillet is boiling, add in the farro, then cover the skillet, reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer until farro is cooked, approximately 20 minutes.
Fourth: Combine. While the farro is cooking, puree the sweet potatoes. Place cooked sweet potatoes, along with 1 cup of milk, into a blender and pulse until smooth. Then, pour the mixture into the skillet with the farro and stir in the spinach until wilted.
Tips and tricks
- It's good to use canned coconut milk for cooking the farro; but, I think it's best to use a different kind of milk when blending the sweet potato. Otherwise, the coconut overpowers the flavor of the sweet potato.
- Remember to adjust salt and pepper as needed.
Do I have to use farro?
If you don't have farro and still want to make this recipe, you can use rice instead.
Can I substitute other greens?
Yes! Feel free to use bok choy or kale instead of spinach if you prefer.
More vegan recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Sweet Potato Curry Farro
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 3 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 13.5 oz. coconut milk 1 can
- 1 1/2 cups farro rinsed
- 2 cups spinach or more
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup almond milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Then, add the curry paste, curry powder and sugar and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk and farro and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the sweet potato. You can do this any way you'd like, but personally, I like microwaving the sweet potato because it's fastest! Then, add the sweet potato and almond milk to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove lid from the skillet then pour in the blended sweet potato. Last, stir in the spinach and add salt and pepper to taste.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in January 2017. It was updated with new text and photos in November 2020.