Tofu Curry is an easy weeknight meal that uses simple ingredients and is packed with flavor. It’s made with coconut milk, red curry paste and crispy tofu and served over your favorite kind of a rice for a complete meal.
Oh my gosh do I love curry, especially when tofu is involved. However, curry is not Miguel’s favorite food (I know, what the heck?), so I don’t eat it nearly often enough.
I whipped up this tofu curry during a week when he was traveling and ate the entire thing myself. Honestly, it wasn’t that challenging because it’s so tasty and an easy weeknight meal. I’ve talked many times about various ways to prep tofu. Personally, baking it in the oven is my favorite method, but, frying it over the stove is definitely faster, so I opted for that method in this recipe.
CURRY SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- Coconut milk
- Red curry paste
- Yellow onion
- Red pepper
HOW TO MAKE TOFU CURRY
Cook the rice: Be sure to cook the rice first because it takes the longest to cook. However you normally cook rice works fine in this recipe too.
Fry the tofu: Before actually frying the tofu, you have to coat it in cornstarch so that it gets nice and crispy. I like to put the tofu in a plastic bag, then add the cornstarch, zip the bag up and shake it (see photo). That way, the tofu is completely covered in cornstarch and it only takes a minute.
Prep the sauce: The best part of any curry dish is the sauce! This sauce is very simple and made with basic (but delicious) ingredients. Sauté the onion and red pepper in a skillet, then add the garlic and ginger, and finally the red curry paste.
TIPS FOR THE BEST CURRY RECIPE
- Use full fat coconut milk to add more flavor
- I used brown rice to keep things on the lighter side, but jasmine, basmati or white rice would also be delicious
- I like to add some sort of greens to most curry dishes. In this case, I chose spinach, but roasted broccoli would work too
OTHER TOFU RECIPES
Easy Tofu Curry
- 1 block super firm tofu pressed
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
for the sauce:
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 red pepper seeds removed, diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- handful of spinach
- cilantro for garnish
- Cook the brown rice according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, slice the tofu into cubes, then place them in a plastic bag. Add cornstarch to the bag, seal it, then shake until the tofu is completely coated in the cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the tofu and fry on all sides. This should take at least 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove tofu and set aside.
- In that same skillet, make the sauce: add onion and red pepper to the skillet and sauté for 2-3 minutes; then, add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute before adding in the coconut milk and curry paste. Stir everything together and bring mixture to a simmer. Add the tofu back into the skillet, and then the spinach and stir for 30 seconds until the spinach is wilted.
- Pour rice into bowls, then top it with the the tofu curry. Top everything with cilantro and enjoy!