This Skillet Pizza features an extra thick crust and is topped with prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and arugula. You gotta try it!
Two words: Thick crust. Cheesy goodness. SKILLET PIZZA.
It should come as no surprise that I’m obsessed with my cast iron skillet. I own two of them and didn’t purchase my first one until the fall, and so far I’ve made HOW MANY———— skillet recipes. Uhhh yeah, obsessed. My most recent obsession/addiction/one true love is skillet pizza, which we will get to in just oneeeeee second. But first...
Me and the fam (Miguel and Layla) are headed to DC this weekend to celebrate Miguel’s sister’s wedding! It’s a small, intimate ceremony, but she got a bit carried away and invited everyone she knows back to their parents house for a reception, which cracks me up because I knew she wasn’t going to be able to keep it small. I know I had a difficult time with that as well when it came to people Miguel and I wanted to invite. There was a time when we were determined to keep it under 75 people, but then we just felt bad and there were people we wanted to invite, so we did and everything worked out for the better.
Anyway, I’m excited to eat and drink and dance and see all his little cousins on Saturday. It should be a good time, I’m just crossing my fingers it doesn’t rain. It’s not supposed to, but you never know!
Truthfully, I wish I could make 25 of these skillet pizzas for everyone to have at the reception. They’re a bit smaller than “regular” size, BUT the crust is thicker and, in Miguel’s words, better. I topped this one with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, prosciutto, and arugula and the flavors paired so well together.
Tip: I recommend using a 10” or 12” cast iron or oven-safe skillet. Anything smaller and the crust will be too thick and take too long to cook through.
Can I assume we’ll all be making this skillet pizza next time pizza night rolls around, aka tonight?! GOOD. Happy Friday, friends!
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup marinara sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ tsp* red pepper flakes
- 8 oz.** fresh mozzarella cheese sliced thinly
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 basil leaf chopped
- 2 pieces of prosciutto
- 3-4 grape tomatoes sliced
- 1 handful arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Flour a baking mat and roll the dough out into a circle.
- Transfer dough to a cast iron or oven-safe skillet and brush the crust portion with olive oil.
- Add sauce and sprinkle with basil, oregano and red pepper.
- Next, add the cheese, fresh basil, prosciutto, and tomatoes and place the skillet into the oven.
- After 15-20 minutes, add the arugula on top and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and crust is slightly golden.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with a bit of black pepper, slice and enjoy!
**I bought 8 oz. of cheese and probably ended up using about 6 oz. of it, so don't feel like you need to use ALL of it