This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
No Bake Birthday Cake Balls are the ultimate snack or after dinner treat. Made with cashew butter, almond flour, flaxseed, and of course sprinkles, they're healthier than traditional truffles but still indulgent and delicious.
You should know by now that I adore birthday cake flavored dessert, and these Birthday Cake Balls are no exception. My birthday cake cookies and birthday cake brownies are two of my healthier dessert recipes that I make most often, mostly because they're just the right amount of sweet.
Honestly, having some sort or energy ball or bites in the refrigerator is incredibly helpful when a snack craving strikes. Trust me when I say that you won't regret prepping a batch of these in advance!
- Bite-size balls that taste like birthday cake
- Made with nut butter, almond flour and oat flour, making these gluten free and vegan
- Topped with sprinkles, which automatically makes them more fun and festive!
Cashew butter - Out of all of the nut butters, cashew butter is the most neutral tasting and therefore works well as a base for birthday cake flavored things. If you must substitute, try sunflower butter for a nut-free option or almond butter.
Maple syrup - Every treat needs sugar, and in this recipe, maple syrup pairs well with cashew butter. Honey would be another great option.
Vanilla - A combination of vanilla extract and almond extract yields the closest flavor to birthday cake, so I do recommend using both.
Flour - I opted to use almond flour and oat flour to keep these gluten free; since they are no bake, you could probably play around with using different flours if you'd like, just make sure to add only a little at a time to ensure the texture is correct.
Flaxseed - Ground flaxseed adds extra fiber to these, and since I want to keep these healthier, I figured why not?!
Sprinkles - An absolute must for any and all things birthday cake! You can't have cake without sprinkles. I used rainbow sprinkles, but chocolate sprinkles would also be delicious.
Step 1: Whisk wet ingredients. In a large bowl, stir the cashew butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and almond extract together.
Step 2: Add dry ingredients. To that same bowl, add the almond flour, oat flour, ground flaxseed, and salt and use a rubber spatula to stir together.
Step 3: Form into balls. Use your hands to roll the dough into bite-sized balls. To ensure they're all the same size, use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough into your hands.
Step 4: Add sprinkles. Pour the sprinkles into a shallow bowl, then roll each birthday cake ball into the sprinkles. Transfer them to a plate or to a sealed container, store in the refrigerator and enjoy!
Tips and tricks
- Make sure the cashew butter you're using is on the runnier side; if it seems too thick, you'll want to place it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for 15-20 seconds until it thins out a bit.
- Want these to be a little sweeter? Try adding a "frosting" glaze overtop. To do so, whisk powdered sugar and milk together in a bowl, then drizzle it overtop of each ball. Make sure the glaze is thick enough to stick.
- Another option would be to add mini chocolate chips to the "cake batter" or to drizzle melted chocolate over them for a chocolate birthday cake variation.
- Chia seeds (in addition to the flaxseed or in place of it)
- Vanilla protein powder
- White chocolate chips
- Shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
Refrigerator: This is my preferred storage method. Store bags in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Freezer: Store balls in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. If storing them in a container, place pieces of parchment paper in between the layers so they don't stick together.
More easy snacks
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
No Bake Birthday Cake Balls
- Whisk the cashew butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the almond flour, oat flour, flaxseed, and salt to the bowl and use a rubber spatula to stir until everything is combined. NOTE: you may need to use your hands to finish mixing because the mixture will be thick.
- Pour the sprinkles onto a small plate.
- Use your hands to roll the dough into balls, then roll the balls into the sprinkles. Repeat this process until all of the dough is gone. Store in the refrigerator and enjoy!