Grilled Mango Chicken is a refreshing and smoky summer meal with a tropical twist! Easy to make with a mango-soy sauce marinade and boneless chicken thighs, this is one recipe you need on your summer grilling list.
I’ve said it in my Mango Chicken Salad recipe and I’ll say it again: chicken and mangos are meant for each other! When they get together, it’s like a sweet and savory flavor explosion! It’s also a must-have combo for summer.
It’s no surprise that they’re back together again in this Grilled Mango Chicken recipe. Boneless chicken thighs soak up the mango-soy sauce marinade for hours before they’re thrown onto a hot grill. When they’re done, you’re left with a juicy, charred dinner with a tropical twist.
It all comes together in no time too. Blend up the 5-ingredient mango chicken marinade, pour it over the chicken, and grill the next day! It’s the perfect summer dinner that needs to make an appearance at your next barbecue.
- The ultimate sweet and savory recipe for summer grilling!
- The mango marinade is easy to put together with just 5 ingredients.
- Every bite is refreshing, tangy, savory, and smoky.
- Chicken - I only tested this recipe with boneless chicken thighs but chicken breasts should work just as well.
- Soy sauce - Or use tamari for gluten free.
- Mangos - Mangos give the chicken marinade its star quality. Ripe mangos will have a slight give when you press on them, indicating a soft and juicy inside. Frozen mango works too! Just thaw the frozen chunks before blending.
- Garlic and ginger - Preferably fresh for more pronounced flavors.
Step 1: Make the marinade. Blend the soy sauce, mangos, garlic, ginger, and water together. Reserve some of the sauce and pour the rest into a large plastic bag. Add the chicken thighs to the bag.
Step 2: Let the chicken marinate. Seal the bag shut and let the mango chicken marinate in the fridge overnight.
Step 3: Fire up the grill. Place the chicken on a hot grill and cook on both sides until they’re slightly charred and crisp.
Step 4: Add more sauce, then serve. Plate the grilled chicken and brush on the reserved mango sauce. Garnish with fresh cilantro, then serve and enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- The cook time was intended for marinated chicken thighs, not breasts. If you plan on using chicken breasts instead of thighs, you may need to grill them for a bit longer/shorter depending on the size (always check the internal temperature!).
- Feel free to play with the ingredients in the mango marinade. Add some lime juice or zest, Sriracha or hot sauce, brown sugar or honey, jalapeños, Greek yogurt, coconut milk, pineapple, or fresh herbs.
- Learn more secrets to perfectly grilled chicken over at my grilled chicken thighs recipe.
How long can you marinate chicken thighs?
Technically, you can leave the chicken thighs in the marinade for a minimum of 4 hours before cooking. However, if the best flavor is what you’re after, let the chicken marinate overnight.
Do not leave it for longer than 24 hours or else the meat will start to break down and become mealy.
What can you serve with mango chicken?
Keep the grill hot so you can serve this grilled corn kale salad and grilled asparagus pasta salad next to the mango chicken. Wash it all down with a mango margarita and finish the meal with mango mousse for dessert!
- Refrigerator: Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken in a baking dish and bake in a 350°F oven until warmed through.
More flavor-packed chicken dinners
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Grilled Mango Chicken
- 2 lb. chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 mangos
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoon water or more as needed
- cilantro for garnish
- Add chicken to a plastic bag or a large baking dish; set aside.
- Next, make the marinade: Add the soy sauce, mangos, garlic, ginger, and water to a small blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Reserve ¼ cup of the sauce, then pour the rest over the chicken. Seal the bag shut and place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or up to 8 hours.
- To grill: Heat grill to 400°, then remove the chicken from the bag with tongs, shaking off any excess marinade. Grill the chicken for 6-7 minutes per side.
- Once the chicken is done, place it on a serving platter or plate and brush it with the reserved sauce. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro (optional) and enjoy!
Leave a Reply