This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
Ready to eat in just 35 minutes, this Baked Harissa Chicken is a spicy, tangy, and flavorful twist on oven baked chicken thighs.
Looking for a flavorful and fun way to spice up oven roasted chicken? This Baked Harissa Chicken recipe is made with chicken thighs and is healthy, packed with flavor, and easy to make! With the perfect balance of sweet, spicy, and tangy in every bite, you can count on these juicy chicken thighs to bring some excitement to the dinner table.
Spicy harissa paste is the star of this 35-minute meal. Mixed with honey and citrus juice, the spicy flavors in the harissa paste are toned down while plenty of tang shines through.
Together, the spicy, smoky sauce and tender baked chicken are a magical pair. It’s a must-have on your weekly dinner menu!
- A naturally gluten and dairy free 35-minute meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights.
- Every bite is packed with spicy, citrusy, and smoky flavors.
- The 3-step process is almost impossible to mess up.
- Chicken thighs - Bone in, skin on thighs will give you the best flavor. You could also use boneless chicken thighs or other cuts of chicken if you prefer, such as breasts or tenderloins.
- Harissa sauce - This sweet and spicy sauce is made from a blend of harissa paste, honey, lime juice (or lemon juice), salt, and black pepper.
- Jalapeño - Thinly sliced and used as a vibrant and spicy garnish on the baked chicken thighs.
Step 1: Par-bake the chicken. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, place them in a baking pan, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Step 2: Make the harissa sauce. Next, whisk the harissa, honey, lime juice, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
Step 3: Brush on the sauce and finish baking. Take the partially baked chicken out of the oven, brush both sides of each thigh with the harissa mixture. Pour any remaining sauce into the baking dish, then bake the chicken for 10-15 minutes longer.
Expert tips and FAQs
- You’ll know that the chicken is done cooking when an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F.
- Love crispy chicken skin? Try throwing your baked harissa chicken under the broiler for a few minutes to help the skin caramelize and crisp.
- Cut up or shred the spicy chicken and use it for added protein on salads, soups, stews, grain bowls, or tacos.
- This sweet, tangy, and spicy dish pairs really well with simple side dishes, like mashed red potatoes, rice, salad, Instant Pot broccoli, or brussels sprouts
What is harissa paste?
Harissa is a spicy, smoky paste made from a mixture of chilis, spices, garlic, and citrus juice. This peppery paste is common in North African cooking but is easy to find in large grocery stores or online. Every harissa paste tends to taste a bit different, so be sure to test a few brands or try making your own!
What can you use instead of harissa?
Hot sauce or chili paste are the best substitutes for harissa so you don’t miss out on the heat.
Can you make this with boneless chicken thighs?
While bone-in chicken thighs will give you the best flavor, boneless are a tad easier to eat. For boneless chicken thighs, place the chicken and the harissa sauce into the dish and bake at 425° for 20 minutes.
Refrigerator: Any leftover honey harissa chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken in a baking dish and cook in the oven at 350°F until warmed through.
More hearty chicken thigh recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Baked Harissa Chicken
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place the chicken in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Bake the chicken for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the harissa, honey, lime juice, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Once the 20 minutes is up, brush the sauce over the chicken, then pour the remaining sauce in the baking dish. Sprinkle the jalapeño slices over the chicken, then place the chicken back into the oven and bake for 10-15 more minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°. Enjoy!