Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This apple smoothie recipe is made with just 5 ingredients, including apples, yogurt and cinnamon, for a healthy and flavorful smoothie. It’s the perfect amount of apple flavoring and sweetness that you’re sure to love.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away (that is how the saying goes, right?), so an apple smoothie a day, well, that’s even better! The tricky part about an apple smoothie is that, truth be told, apples don’t have a particularly strong flavor. So, getting the smoothie to have the correct about of apple flavor, along with the right amount of sweetness, can be and was a little more challenging than I expected.
But, have no fear–I figured it out! This apple smoothie uses apples as the main flavor, and then uses dates to add a hint of sweetness and a small amount of cinnamon, because I feel like you can’t have apples without cinnamon.
APPLE SMOOTHIE INGREDIENTS
- Apples: You’ll need two apples, and I honestly think ANY variety will work. With that said, the red variety might be best. I believe I used Gala apples, if we’re getting specific.
- Milk: Again, any milk works, though I personally recommend oat or almond milk
- Yogurt: Greek yogurt is thicker, so that’s the way to go if you want the texture to be a bit thicker. (see below for substitutions)
- Dates: I love adding dates to smoothies because, not only do they make the texture a bit thicker, but they add a hint of sweetness to the smoothie without altering the flavor (see below for substitutions). Tip: make sure to buy pitted dates!
- Cinnamon: Apples+cinnamon go hand-in-hand, and a small amount of cinnamon is the way to go; otherwise, the cinnamon flavor will overpower the apples
HOW TO MAKE AN APPLE SMOOTHIE
If you own an apple slicer, use that to cut the apple. If not, use a knife to cut around the core of the apple, then place the apple slices into the blender, along with the remaining ingredients.
You’ll want to blend the smoothie for at least 30 seconds; otherwise, the skin of the apple won’t blend up all the way.
Yogurt: If Greek yogurt isn’t your thing, feel free to use ANY other kind of plain or vanilla-flavored yogurt. My personal favorite non-dairy yogurt is Forager, but again, any kind of regular or dairy free yogurt works.
Dates: Besides dates, honey or maple syrup are a great way to sweeten smoothies.
Nut butter: If you want to add a little more protein, you could add 2-3 tbsp nut butter to this smoothie. Peanut butter would be delicious, though I think almond butter would be even better.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER HEALTHY SMOOTHIE RECIPES
Classic Apple Smoothie
- 2 apples any kind
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 pitted dates*
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Cut apple into slices, discarding the core. Place apple slices into your blender.
- Add milk, yogurt, dates, and cinnamon to the blender and pulse for 30 seconds or until mixture is smooth.