These easy Crispy Chicken Thighs are baked in the oven and a delicious main to pair with your favorite side dish.
Another chicken thigh recipe?! YUP. Say hello to these baked crispy chicken thighs! I mean, I adore chicken -- you should all know this by now -- so I figured it was time to include a crispy chicken recipe that's baked in the oven.
This recipe uses bone-in chicken thighs, though you can always use boneless (similar to my baked bbq chicken thighs).
- Chicken is baked in the oven (not fried) but still SO crispy
- Perfectly seasoned and with crispy skin, but the chicken itself is juicy
- An easy meal prep recipe that requires just 5 minutes of prep work!
Chicken thighs - For the crispiest chicken, use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. If you prefer to use boneless, see the recipe card below for instructions.
Baking powder - Yes, really! The baking powder makes the chicken extra crispy, and no, you can't taste it at all.
Seasonings - A mixture of garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper.
Step 1: Dry the chicken. Use a paper towel or two to pat the chicken dry, removing as much moisture as you can. This will ensure that the chicken crisps up nicely.
Step 2: Season the chicken. Mix the baking powder and seasonings together in a small bowl, then sprinkle them all over the chicken, making sure all the thighs are coated.
Step 3: Bake. Place the chicken on a rimmed baking pan skin side up, then into the oven and bake it for 35-40 minutes, using a meat thermometer to ensure it's done. Wait 5 minutes before slicing and enjoying!
Tips and tricks
- Bone-in vs. boneless skinless chicken thighs: Bone-in thighs bake in 35-40 minutes, and boneless thighs bake in 20 minutes. Both should be baked at 425° and have an internal temperature of 165° when done.
- Always pat the chicken dry before seasoning it! If you're using boneless chicken, you can probably skin this step because there's typically less moisture on the chicken.
- Use a rimmed baking sheet! This will ensure that any of the chicken juices don't spill over, and that they fall onto the parchment paper instead. Besides that, you'll want to use an oven-safe wire rack on TOP of the baking sheet so that the chicken doesn't get soggy on the bottom.
- Serve baked chicken thighs with roasted potatoes, fried brussels sprouts, cauliflower rice, or my Instant Pot Spanish rice.
- Storage: Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How do you make chicken extra crispy?
The key is to add baking powder in with the seasonings, and to use an oven-safe wire rack, which will prevent the chicken from getting soggy on the bottom.
Should you cover chicken when baking it?
Sometimes, but for this recipe you don't want to do that. Place the chicken on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet, then bake it uncovered, which will help it get nice and crispy.
Are chicken thighs healthy?
I think so! They're an excellent source of protein, and though I wouldn't recommend eating skin-on thighs every day due to the saturated fat, I think they can be a part of a balanced diet.
More easy chicken recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Baked Crispy Chicken Thighs
- 1.5 lb. chicken thighs (approx. 4); bone-in, skin on
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, then place an oven-safe wire rack on top and spray it with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the baking powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pat the chicken dry (the drier you can get it, then crispier it'll get!) then place it into a large bowl. Pour the seasonings over top and use your hands to completely coat the chicken.
- Place the chicken on top of the wire rack, then place the baking sheet into the oven and bake the chicken for 35-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and wait 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!