This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This Copycat True Food Kitchen Harissa Tahini Cauliflower is a one-of-a-kind side dish. Made with roasted cauliflower, coated in a spicy harissa tahini sauce then sprinkled with fresh herbs, it's a delicious way to enjoy cauliflower.
Cauliflower on its own can be kind of boring, but this harissa tahini cauliflower recipe is quite the opposite. Instead, it's packed with several unique flavors that pair well together.
I admittedly don't eat at True Food Kitchen often, but I went there a couple months ago, ordered the cauliflower, and immediately knew that I wanted to recreate it because it was that good.
- It's truly the perfect side dish and a great way to enjoy cauliflower.
- Incorporates several different flavors into one meal and is a great balance of texture and flavor.
- An easy way to jazz up an otherwise kind of boring vegetable.
Cauliflower - 1 large or 2 small heads of cauliflower, or buy pre-chopped cauliflower florets to save time.
Tahini - If I've learned one thing over the years, it's that not all tahini is created equally. I highly recommend Soom tahini if you can find it (or order it online!).
Harissa - You should be able to find harissa with the other international foods at the grocery store.
Dates - Deglet or medjool dates are fine; just make sure they're pitted.
Fresh herbs - This recipe calls for both fresh dill and fresh mint (yes, trust me on this one!).
Pistachios - Adds a nice crunch and the saltiness pairs well with the sweetness of the dates.
Step 1: Roast the cauliflower. Place the cauliflower florets into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then pour the cauliflower out onto it. Roast the cauliflower in the oven at 425° for 20-30 minutes until fork tender.
Step 2: Make the sauce. Meanwhile, whisk the tahini, water, harissa, lemon juice, maple syrup, and salt together and set aside.
Step 3: Prep the add-ins. Next, chop the dates, pistachios, dill, and mint and set aside.
Step 4: Assemble. Last, pour the roasted cauliflower back into the bowl, then drizzle with the sauce and toss until it's coated. Transfer the cauliflower to a serving bowl or platter, then sprinkle with the chopped dates, herbs and pistachios.
Tips and FAQs
- Make sure to taste test the sauce before you incorporate it and add more salt/lemon juice/maple syrup if you'd like.
- Not a fan of maple syrup? Try using honey or even granulated sugar instead.
- Some tahini is thicker than others; the kind I used is pretty runny, so I didn't need much water, but if you're using a thicker tahini, you may need to use 2-3 tablespoons of water.
Why is my cauliflower mushy?
If this happens, you may have roasted it for too long. When in doubt, it's best to check the cauliflower around the 20-minute mark and cook in 3-5 minute increments to avoid this. Also, be sure to flip the cauliflower so it roasts evenly.
Is there anything else I could add to this side dish?
Always! If you want to bulk this up and turn it into a full meal instead of just a side, try adding chickpeas, white beans, cooked kale, or even diced avocado.
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More easy sides
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Harissa Tahini Cauliflower
for the sauce:
- 3 medjool dates pitted; sliced
- 2 tablespoon fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- ¼ cup pistachios roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425° and spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper.
- Add the cauliflower florets to a large bowl, then pour olive oil, salt and pepper overtop and stir to combine. Pour the cauliflower onto the prepared baking sheet, then roast it for 20-30 minutes, tossing halfway through until it's fork tender.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: whisk tahini, water, harissa, lemon juice, maple syrup, and salt together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Once the cauliflower is roasted, pour it back into the large bowl from before. Pour the sauce overtop and toss to combine, then transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Add the dates, mint, dill, and pistachios on top and enjoy!