Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
There's truly no better way to cook a chicken than this Air Fryer Whole Chicken recipe! The skin is crispy and flavorful and the chicken is perfectly juicy -- it's great to meal prep at the beginning of the week, and it's paleo/whole30 too!
You saw this coming, right? This air fryer whole chicken is my new love language.
I fell in love with the air fryer when I created my favorite air fryer chicken thighs, so I knew air frying an entire chicken would be a winner. Plus, rotisserie chicken is kind of the perfect food to prep on a Sunday and enjoy at lunchtime for the next few days.
- A juicy rotisserie chicken with flavorful and crispy skin
- A homemade recipe that tastes better than store-bought chicken
- Easy to meal prep and enjoy throughout the week
Chicken: Since the chicken needs to fit into the air fryer, I recommend buying a 4-5 lb. whole chicken, and nothing larger. If you buy a smaller chicken, you may need to adjust the cook time.
Spices: The perfect chicken dry rub includes:
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
Step 1: Make the dry rub. Start by adding the garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and salt to a small bowl and stirring them together.
Step 2: Coat the chicken. Next, pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, then use your hands to rub the dry rub all over the chicken, ensuring that it's completely coated.
Step 3: Air fry the chicken. Spray your air fryer with nonstick/olive oil/avocado oil spray, then add the chicken breast-side down. Air fry the chicken at 360° for 50 minutes, then use kitchen tongs to flip it over and cook it for 10 more minutes.
Tips and FAQs
-If you need a substitute for smoked paprika, try cajun seasoning.
-Use kitchen tongs to carefully flip the chicken over in the air fryer.
-Once the chicken is done, allow it to sit on the cutting board for 5 minutes before slicing it, which will make the chicken even juicier and more flavorful.
It should stay good if stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for 4 days, which is why it's ideal to make at the beginning of the week and enjoy for a few days (lunch or dinner!).
More delicious chicken recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 1 4-5 lb. whole chicken
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper more or less
- nonstick spray
- Combine all of the spices in a bowl.
- Next, pay the chicken dry as best you can, then rub the spices all over the chicken.
- Spray your air fryer with nonstick spray (or olive oil/avocado oil spray), then place the chicken breast-side down and cook it at 360° for 50 minutes. Then, flip it over and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Carefully remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Wait 5 minutes or so before slicing. Enjoy!