There's truly no better way to cook a chicken than this Air Fryer Whole Chicken recipe! The skin is crispy and flavorful and the chicken is perfectly juicy -- it's great to meal prep at the beginning of the week, and it's paleo/whole30 too!
You saw this coming, right? This air fryer whole chicken is my new love language.
I fell in love with the air fryer when I created my favorite air fryer chicken thighs, so I knew air frying an entire chicken would be a winner. Plus, rotisserie chicken is kind of the perfect food to prep on a Sunday and enjoy at lunchtime for the next few days.
If you need some quick sides to pair with this, my air fryer sweet potatoes and/or my Instant Pot Spanish rice would be perfect (just sayin').
- A juicy rotisserie chicken with flavorful and crispy skin
- A homemade recipe that tastes better than store-bought chicken
- Easy to meal prep and enjoy throughout the week
Chicken: Since the chicken needs to fit into the air fryer, I recommend buying a 4-5 lb. whole chicken, and nothing larger. If you buy a smaller chicken, you may need to adjust the cook time.
Spices: The perfect chicken dry rub includes:
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
Step 1: Make the dry rub. Start by adding the garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and salt to a small bowl and stirring them together.
Step 2: Coat the chicken. Next, pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, then use your hands to rub the dry rub all over the chicken, ensuring that it's completely coated.
Step 3: Air fry the chicken. Spray your air fryer with nonstick/olive oil/avocado oil spray, then add the chicken breast-side down. Air fry the chicken at 360° for 50 minutes, then use kitchen tongs to flip it over and cook it for 10 more minutes.
Tips and FAQs
-If you need a substitute for smoked paprika, try cajun seasoning.
-Use kitchen tongs to carefully flip the chicken over in the air fryer.
-Once the chicken is done, allow it to sit on the cutting board for 5 minutes before slicing it, which will make the chicken even juicier and more flavorful.
The options are truly endless, but I'd go with savory mashed sweet potatoes, grilled corn kale salad or easy fajitas. All would pair perfectly with this air fryer chicken!
It should stay good if stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for 4 days, which is why it's ideal to make at the beginning of the week and enjoy for a few days (lunch or dinner!).
More delicious chicken recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 1 4-5 lb. whole chicken
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper more or less
- nonstick spray
- Combine all of the spices in a bowl.
- Next, pay the chicken dry as best you can, then rub the spices all over the chicken.
- Spray your air fryer with nonstick spray (or olive oil/avocado oil spray), then place the chicken breast-side down and cook it at 360° for 50 minutes. Then, flip it over and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Carefully remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Wait 5 minutes or so before slicing. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply