These vegetarian fajitas are made with roasted peppers, onions and mushrooms. Along with avocado, it’s a tasty meatless meal that you can easily customize to your liking, plus it’s ready in under 30 minutes!
You guys know I’m on mission to find meals that don’t need meat, and these vegetarian fajitas are just that. Plus, Miguel doesn’t love peppers and onions, so I was able to eat these three days in a row, and no, I wasn’t sick of them. Mexican food is my favorite cuisine, which is also probably why this fajita recipe holds a special place in my heart.
If you have a significant other who “needs” meat (I get it), these salmon fajitas are where it’s at. But, I promise you that you, or whoever you serve these to, won’t miss the meat at all! These vegetarian fajitas are veggie-forward, so won’t feel groggy afterward.
WHY THESE VEGGIE FAJITAS ARE THE BEST
- They’re spicy (don’t worry–you control the spice level!)
- Packed with veggies like peppers and mushrooms
- An easy weeknight meal when you don’t feel like cooking
HOW TO MAKE VEGETARIAN FAJITAS
Slice the peppers and onion: The trick to slicing peppers is to cut the top off first, then cut around the seeds (it makes more sense when you’re doing it).
Bake everything for 15 minutes: Pretty straight forward, but 15 minutes should be enough time for the veggies to be nice and roasted.
Throw it all together: This is the fun part! This is where you can add as much or as little as you want into each fajita. I chose to keep it simple, because truthfully I don’t always have a ton of ingredients in my refrigerator. But, with a little planning, you could go crazy with this recipe.
SUBSTITUTIONS / ADD-INS
CAN I MAKE THESE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! You can easily bake the pepper mixture ahead of time, then store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before serving, add the avocado, lime juice and any other add-ins you want.
OTHER MEXICAN RECIPES
- Spicy Tofu Vegan Enchiladas
- Seared Salmon with Chipotle Salsa
- Chipotle Pepper Guacamole
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche
Easy Vegetarian Fajitas
These vegetarian fajitas are an easy weeknight meal when you don’t really feel like cooking. They’re made with peppers, onions and mushrooms and just the right amount of spicy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 3 bell peppers, sliced and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 5 oz. shiitake mushrooms (a little over 1 cup)
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle seasoning
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced or mashed
- Lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place sliced peppers, onions and mushrooms in a bowl, then drizzle with oil and sprinkle with paprika and chipotle seasoning; stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture onto a baking sheet and bake veggies for 15 minutes.
- To serve: Add avocado to each tortilla, then fill the tortilla with the pepper-onion-mushroom mix. Drizzle with lime juice and enjoy!
Keywords: fajitas, vegetarian fajitas, vegetable fajita recipe