If you love crispy roasted chickpeas, you gotta try these Air Fryer Chickpeas! Coated in homemade ranch seasoning, then fried until they're crispy, they're the ultimate healthy snack or salad topper!
Boy oh boy do I love these air fryer chickpeas.
If you've been following long enough, you know that I'm obsessed with crunchy roasted chickpeas. Who knows why it's taken me so long to think to make them in the air fryer, but it's a game-changer!
There are many reasons why I love air fryer recipes, but one of the reasons is because the air fryer completely changes the texture of certain foods for the better. My air fryer chicken thighs become "fried" without using any oil, my air fryer shrimp and air fryer tilapia taste as though they've been cooked in a skillet, and the same goes for these chickpeas.
It's a game-changer, friends!
- A quick and easy way to make crispy chickpeas without using much oil
- The homemade ranch seasoning let's you control the flavors
- A protein and fiber-packed snack that's delicious on its own, in a hummus bowl or on top of salad in place of croutons
- This snack is both vegan and gluten-free!
Chickpeas - Also known as garbanzo beans. Use a can of chickpeas, not dry chickpeas, and make sure to drain and rinse the canned chickpeas before using them!
Oil - I used olive oil, but avocado oil works as well
Spices - A mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, salt, and cayenne creates an incredibly flavorful ranch seasoning
Step 1: Pat chickpeas dry. This step is crucial if you want crispy chickpeas. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then transfer them to a plate. If you're not in a hurry, you can let them air dry for about an hour. If you are in a hurry, use a few paper towels to gently blot them dry, then transfer them to a bowl.
Step 2: Season the chickpeas. In a small bowl, stir the garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, salt, and cayenne together. Drizzle the olive oil over the chickpeas and stir to combine, then sprinkle the seasoning on top and stir so that they're coated.
Step 3: Air fry. Place the chickpeas in your air fryer basket in as much of a single layer as possible, then air fry at 380° for 15 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes to ensure they are frying evenly.
- Want to try a different seasoning blend? Try using chili powder and chipotle powder for a spicy mix, or curry powder and a pinch of cumin for Indian-inspired chickpeas.
- I know I said this already, but make sure the chickpeas are as dry as possible; otherwise, you'll end up with soggy chickpeas.
What recipes could I add these chickpeas to?
They'd be delicious on:
Truthfully, roasted chickpeas are best served fresh if you want them to maintain their crispy texture. I don't recommend refrigerating them.
Make ahead: With that said, you can make them a few hours ahead of time, then re-roast them to get the crispiness back. To do so, air fry them, then store them in an open container at room temperature. Before serving, place them back int he air fryer and fry for 2-3 minutes until warm.
More easy chickpea recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Air Fryer Chickpeas
- 15 oz. chickpeas drained and rinsed; (1 can)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne optional
- Pour the drained and rinsed chickpeas out onto a plate, then use a few paper towels to pat them dry; the drier the chickpeas, the crispier they'll become.
- Stir the garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, salt, and cayenne together in a small bowl.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a large bowl, then pour the olive oil overtop and stir to combine. Then, pour the seasoning blend over the chickpeas and stir until they're coated.
- Pour the chickpeas into your air fryer basket in as much of a single layer as possible, then air fry them at 380° for 15 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply