This Butternut Squash Bread is made with whole wheat flour, filled with pecans and topped with a simple sugar glaze. Delicious for breakfast AND dessert!
If you would have asked me last year what my favorite type of squash was, I probably would have said spaghetti, but this year I’m ALL about butternut squash. I mean clearly, because I decided to put it into bread! Hey, if you can make bread out of bananas, you can certainly make it out of butternut squash, too. Apparently Miguel had never had butternut squash before, so a few weeks ago when I roasted some in the oven for dinner, he was all like “what is THAT?!”.
Ooomph. Obviously I told him it was squash and obviously he had no idea what squash tasted like. How would you describe squash to someone? I think I said it’s a cross between sweet potatoes and russet potatoes, which immediately got him on board the squash train, because he loves potatoes.
Hey, whatever works, right?
These past two weeks have been crazy busy, I don’t even know where to start.
Though this butternut squash bread is comparable to banana bread in the way you make it, it does require a bit more effort because you have to cook the butternut squash. BUT, if you’re team microwave, this process only takes about five minutes. Alternatively, you can roast the squash in the oven if you prefer that method, but it does take a bit longer. Regardless, this bread is filled with pecans and topped with pistachios, though I mostly used those for color, so feel free to just use more pecans for the topping if you don’t have pistachios on hand.
And the glaze! Let’s not forget the glaze, though it is just a basic sugar+milk glaze. But still, it’s necessary.
If your significant other refuses to get on board with butternut squash, just whip up this butternut squash bread and I guarantee you’ll trick ‘em into loving it.Print
Pecan Butternut Squash Bread
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- For topping:
- Sprinkle of chopped pistachios OR pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place squash in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for approximately 5 minutes, or until squash is cooked. Alternatively, you can roast the squash in the oven at 400° for 25 minutes.
- Next, whisk melted coconut oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla together in a bowl and set aside.
- Use a potato masher or fork to mash butternut squash similarly to how you would mash bananas in banana bread, then pour wet ingredients into the bowl with the mashed squash and stir to combine; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and use a large spoon to stir everything together. Last, stir in the chopped pecans.
- Grease a bread pan with coconut oil and pour batter into the bread pan, using a spatula to smooth batter out.
- Bake bread for 45-55 minutes, or until the edges are golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Leave bread in the pan for 10 minutes, and then run a knife along the edges and carefully invert bread onto a cooling rack.
- For the glaze: whisk sugar and milk together and then pour glaze over bread.
- Slice and enjoy!