This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
Enjoy a classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the bread! These PB&J Overnight Oats are the perfect grab-and-go healthy breakfast to keep you feeling full and satisfied all morning long.
I like to think of these overnight oats as the new and improved spoonable, fiber-rich version of a handheld favorite. This easy recipe combines the best of a nostalgic PB and J sandwich with a hearty bowl of oatmeal to make PB&J overnight oats!
Instead of layering the peanut butter and jelly between bread slices, you’ll layer them above homemade vanilla-flavored rolled oats. Imagine silky-salty peanut butter and your favorite sugary-sweet jelly or jam with each spoonful of rich, gooey oats. Yum!
Just like my Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats, you’ll only need 5 minutes to prep the oats before leaving them in the fridge. The following day, you end up with perfect peanut butter and jelly overnight oats that are just as good as a classic PB&J sandwich (if not better). The hardest part is choosing your jelly flavor!
- An overnight oats recipe that’s just as nutty, fruity, and satisfying as a classic PB&J sandwich.
- A naturally dairy free, vegan, and gluten free recipe that’s perfect for meal prep.
- One of the very best make-ahead meals to have on hand for busy mornings and on-the-go snacks.
- Customize each batch with different types of nut butter, fruit, store-bought or homemade jams, or chia jam.
- Almond milk - Unsweetened almond milk will keep the oats from tasting too sweet. Feel free to substitute it with another dairy free milk (coconut, cashew, oat, etc.).
- Vanilla extract - To help these healthy oats taste like dessert.
- Rolled oats - A.K.A. “old-fashioned oats”. Make sure the oats you use are certified gluten free or use regular rolled oats. You can substitute steel-cut oats, but they’ll be much more thick and chewy. Quick oats won’t work.
- Chia seeds - To help thicken the oatmeal and add protein.
- Peanut butter - Feel free to use your favorite nut butter instead (almond, cashew, etc.) or swap it for seed butter for a nut free option.
- Jelly - Or jam, any flavor! Grape, strawberry, cherry, or blueberry will all work.
Step 1: Prepare oatmeal mixture. In a bowl, whisk together the almond milk and vanilla. Add the oats and chia seeds, then stir well to combine.
Step 2: Assemble the jars. Pour the oat mixture into a mason jar, followed by a layer of jelly, and then a layer of peanut butter. Feel free to stir it all together or leave it layered.
Step 3: Refrigerate. Close the lid and place the jar in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy! Serve the overnight oats cold straight from the jar (or heat it in the microwave for a minute or two). Top with fresh fruit or homemade granola and enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- The longer the oats soak in the fridge, the denser they become. If your overnight oats are too thick, stir in 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk at a time until they loosen up to your liking.
- For an enhanced flavor, use vanilla-flavored almond milk.
- Add some fruit to the layers, like strawberries and bananas, cherries, blueberries, or raspberries.
- Stir in a scoop of vanilla protein powder, collagen powder, or Greek yogurt to the oatmeal mixture for a protein boost.
What else can you add to peanut butter and jelly overnight oats?
This recipe is super flexible and easy to customize. Try adding cocoa powder to the oatmeal mixture or topping the batch with fresh fruit, chopped peanuts, chocolate granola, honey, maple syrup, or mini chocolate chips.
What is the best size jar for overnight oats?
For this recipe, I like using a 16-ounce mason jar. The layers of oatmeal, jelly, and peanut butter fit perfectly. For smaller servings, you can use two 8-ounce mason jars with lids.
How long can overnight oats be stored in the fridge?
When refrigerated in an airtight jar or glass container, overnight oats are good for 5 days. Keep in mind, the taste and texture are best within a day or two.
Can overnight oats be frozen?
Yep! Double or triple the batch and freeze it in single servings. The night before you plan to eat them, transfer a container to the fridge to thaw and enjoy the following day.
More overnight oat recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
PB&J Overnight Oats
- Whisk the milk and vanilla together in a bowl; then, add the oats and the chia seeds and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into a jar, then layer the peanut butter and jelly on top. Or, combine everything together if you prefer.
- Place the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Enjoy!