Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup tastes just like your childhood favorite soup, but better because it’s homemade! Making it in the Instant Pot allows for easy prep and clean up, plus this recipe makes plenty of servings so you’re sure to have leftovers.
Winter months have people craving one kind of food: soup. In an effort to use my Instant Pot more frequently, I decided to make homemade chicken noodle soup, and immediately knew that I had to share the recipe. It’s nothing fancy, but one of those soup recipes that you can make over and over again without getting tired of it. Those are the best kinds of recipes, aren’t they?
WHY THIS INSTANT POT CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP IS THE BEST
- It’s made in the Instant Pot, meaning both prep and clean up are super simple
- It makes plenty of servings, so it will feed a handful of people or there will be leftovers, and who doesn’t love leftovers?!
- Your favorite childhood soup tastes even better when it’s homemade
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SOUP IN THE INSTANT POT
Sauté the onion: Start by adding the onions and olive oil to the Instant Pot, then sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
Pressure cook: Next, add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the noodles. Press the “soup” setting on the Instant Pot, then set the timer to 10 minutes. It will take the IP 10 minutes or so to come to pressure, then the timer will count down from 10. Once the timer beeps, pressure release the valve (refer to your IP manual on how to do this), then carefully open the lid.
At this point, the chicken should be fully cooked. Remove the chicken, then use two forks to shred it.
Meanwhile, press the “sauté” setting on the Instant Pot, then add the noodles and cook them for 8-10 minutes or until they’re soft. Once the noodles are cooked, add the shredded chicken back in.
HOW LONG TO COOK INSTANT POT CHICKEN SOUP
It doesn’t take long! For this soup, you’ll set the pressure cook time to 10 minutes. If your chicken breasts are extra large in size, you may want to set the timer to 12 minutes just to be safe.
WAYS TO MAKE THIS SOUP EVEN BETTER
If you like classic chicken noodle soup, then just leave it as-is. If you want to add a little bit of pizzaz, sprinkle some red pepper flakes and/or shredded parmesan cheese on top.
Have dietary restrictions? Have no fear! You can still enjoy this soup.
Vegan: Omit the chicken altogether, or use vegan chicken (found in the frozen section at the grocery store) and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Gluten free: Use gluten free pasta! With that said, gluten free pasta is a little more delicate, so I recommend cooking it over the stovetop, draining it, then adding it to the Instant Pot. Alternatively, you can add veggies in place of the noodles, like chopped zucchini or zucchini noodles. If you opt for zucchini noodles, simply spiralize them, then stir them into the Instant Pot and they should soften within a minute or two.
OTHER INSTANT POT RECIPES
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- pressure cooker
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. pasta noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add onion and olive oil to the Instant Pot, then press the "sauté" setting and sauté the onion for 3-5 minutes or until it's soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the noodles to the Instant Pot. Press the "soup" setting and set the timer to 10 minutes, then place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure valve is in the "sealing" position. It will take 10 minutes or so for the IP to come to pressure, then it'll begin counting down from 10.
- Once the timer beeps, switch the valve to "venting" and pressure release the IP, then carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and place it onto a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Meanwhile, add the noodles to the Instant Pot, then press "sauté". Cook the noodles for 8-10 minutes or until they're soft, then add the chicken back in and stir everything together. Add salt and pepper as needed and enjoy!