Love banana bread? You must try this Green Banana Bread Smoothie! Made with bananas, walnuts and cinnamon, it's a healthier way to enjoy banana bread either for breakfast or on-the-go, and an easy way to sneak greens into a recipe.
What's better than a banana bread smoothie? Well, actual banana bread obviously, but that's not why you're here. This banana bread smoothie is a healthier way to enjoy "banana bread" for breakfast!
- It's an easy way to sneak greens into a recipe, which is helpful for both adults and kids
- It tastes like banana bread in smoothie form
- You can easily customize it to your liking
What you'll need
Banana: If you want the smoothie to be a thicker texture, I recommend peeling the banana, slicing it, and then placing the slices into a bag and in the freezer for a few hours.
Greens: I love adding spinach to smoothies because you can't taste it! If you want to use other greens, kale works too, though I'd only add 1/2 cup of it.
Nuts: Any kind work! I think walnuts are a fan-favorite in banana bread, so I added them to this smoothie. Want to keep this nut-free? Try adding rolled oats instead!
Yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt works best, though any kind of plain yogurt0--dairy or dairy free--will do!
Milk: I'm just going to say it--you can use whatever milk you want!
Tips and FAQs
- Add-ins: Hemp seeds, chia seeds, cacao nibs, dates, rolled oats
- Frozen banana: Want a thicker smoothie? Use a frozen banana instead! Or, you can use a room temperature banana and add a handful of ice cubes, which is what I typically do
Why does this smoothie use two bananas?
Honestly, because in order for it to have a stronger (i.e. banana bread) flavor, you need two bananas. You can absolutely make it with only one, it just won't have a strong banana flavor to it.
More smoothie recipes:
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Green Banana Bread Smoothie
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoon walnuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in 2017. It was updated with new photos in June 2020.