This cilantro lime brown rice is far more exciting than plain brown rice, and it only requires 5 ingredients! The perfect amount of cilantro-lime, it’s a little bit zest and a whole lot of delicious.
Can we all agree that the best part about Chipotle (besides the guacamole) is the cilantro lime brown rice? It’s SO flavorful with the perfect amount of cilantro and lime. Now, you can make your own at home with just five ingredients.
CILANTRO LIME RICE INGREDIENTS
- Brown rice: I tend to use long grain brown rice most of the time, simply because I like it better, but short grain rice works in this recipe too
- Lime juice: The recipe calls for “juice from 1 lime” because most limes are the same size (vs. lemons, which come in a variety of sizes), so no measuring is required. I find it helpful to use a citrus juicer to avoid any mess or stickiness.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is my go-to oil, but you could also use avocado oil or canola oil (any kind of neutral-tasting oil). I’d avoid coconut oil if you can.
HOW TO MAKE CILANTRO LIME BROWN RICE
Cook the brain rice as you normally would. Add rice and water in a saucepan, bring it to a boil, then cover the pan with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer, simmering until the rice is cooked.
While the rice is cooking, make the cilantro-lime “seasoning” by chopping the cilantro and adding to a bowl. Then, add the lime juice, olive oil and salt to that same bowl and stir to combine.
Once the rice is cooked, pour it into the bowl with the cilantro and stir so that the rice is covered in lime juice.
Eat it as-is, or in burrito bowl form!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS CILANTRO LIME BROWN RICE
Honestly, there are a number of things you could eat with this rice if you don’t want to eat it by itself. These salmon fajitas are a great idea, as are blackened shrimp tacos. If you’re looking for something a bit lighter, this kale taco salad would be delicious on top of the rice (or vice versa), and guacamole salsa is the perfect topping for this rice.
OTHER SIDE DISH RECIPES TO TRY
- Bacon Green Bean Salad
- Honey Roasted Tomatoes
- Cucumber Spears with Whipped Feta
- Chipotle Pepper Guacamole
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
- Add rice and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil; then, reduce heat to a simmer, place a lid on top and simmer until the rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, add the chopped cilantro to a bowl, then pour the lime juice, oil and salt on top and stir to combine.
- Once the rice is cooked, pour the cilantro-lime mixture into the saucepan and stir so that the rice is coated.
- Eat the rice as-is, or in burrito bowl form and enjoy!