Instant Pot Fried Rice is just as crave-worthy and savory as your favorite takeout version. Filled with buttery rice, a medley of vegetables, and eggs, this easy vegetarian dish is ready to eat in just 20 minutes!
We can finally put the days of under or overcooking rice behind us. The Instant Pot is a miracle kitchen tool that makes perfect rice every time! With its help, you can make fluffy white rice, Spanish rice, and this incredible Instant Pot Fried Rice in minutes.
We all know that a Chinese takeout feast isn’t complete without an order of fried rice. Fluffy rice, vegetables, and eggs come together in this delicious side dish and always pair so well with the rest of the order, from General Tso’s tofu to Mongolian beef. Lucky for us, making fried rice in the Instant Pot is super easy and tastes just like you ordered it from your favorite takeout spot.
- A quick and easy dish made with simple, flavorful ingredients. Plus, it tastes just like takeout!
- Naturally vegetarian and easy to make dairy free and gluten free.
- Fried rice is a great side, a hearty weeknight meal, and a great addition to meal prep.
- It’s easy to customize with different veggies, flavors, and proteins.
- Long grain white rice - Long grain rice is perfect for fried rice because it becomes so fluffy and firm in the Instant Pot. Traditional fried rice is usually made with jasmine rice, but you could also use basmati rice. Leftover cooked rice works too! Just make sure it’s cold before using.
- Butter - Or use olive oil or vegetable oil if you’re dairy free. The butter will give your rice the most flavor.
- Vegetables - A medley of carrots, onion, frozen peas, and green onions will give you that restaurant-quality fried rice from home. You can use frozen veggies here also.
- Sesame oil - Don’t skip the sesame oil, preferably toasted sesame oil because it adds more flavor. It adds a delicious nutty flavor and is key to making the best fried rice.
- Eggs - Soft scrambled eggs are non-negotiable in fried rice.
- Soy sauce - Or use tamari if you’re gluten free.
Step 1: Cook and chill rice. Add the rice and water to your Instant Pot. Close the lid, seal the pressure valve, and pressure cook for 4 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes before manually releasing the rest. Transfer the rice to a large bowl and place it in the refrigerator to chill (preferably overnight).
Step 2: Saute the vegetables. Use "sauté" mode on the Instant Pot to melt the butter and sauté the carrots, onions, frozen peas, and garlic. Once they’re softened, add the green onions and sesame oil.
Step 3: Scramble the eggs. Push the vegetables to one side of the pan. Add another tablespoon of butter and the whisked eggs. Stir gently to scramble, then stir them together with the vegetables.
Step 4: Add rice and soy sauce. Lastly, add the chilled rice and soy sauce to the pot. Let everything sit still for a few minutes to get some crispy edges, then stir.
Step 5: Season, garnish, and serve. Scoop the rice into individual bowls, top with black pepper, salt, and green onions, then enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- Use long grain white rice and rinse it well. Rinsing the rice washes away the excess starch, which can make the rice sticky and gummy.
- Chilling the rice overnight will dry out the individual grains and help you avoid clumpy rice.
- Let the rice brown and crisp without stirring at first. A slight crunch in each bite takes this side dish to the next level!
What else can you put in fried rice?
- Meat: Chicken, pork, and shrimp are some of my favorites. Before cooking the vegetables, saute your meat in butter with salt and pepper until tender and cooked through. Transfer it from the Instant Pot to a plate. Add the meat back to the pot when you add the chilled rice and sesame oil.
- Vegetables: Feel free to mix up the veggies. Diced red bell pepper, bean sprouts, corn, sugar snap peas, and even diced pineapple are delicious in fried rice.
- Sauces: Flavor add ins like oyster sauce and fish sauce are also delicious.
Can I make this on the stove top?
Sure! Just follow the same instructions using a large pan or wok over medium heat on the stove. Make sure the rice is cold and the pan or wok is hot for the best fried rice.
Can I make this rice gluten free and dairy free?
To make this fried rice without dairy, swap the butter for a high heat oil, like olive oil or avocado oil.
For gluten-free fried rice, use gluten-free tamari instead of soy sauce and you’re good to go!
How long does fried rice last in the fridge?
The cooled leftovers will last for 3 to 5 days in the fridge. Just keep them in an airtight container so the rice can stay as fresh as possible.
More healthy “takeout” recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Instant Pot Fried Rice
- pressure cooker
- 1 cup long grain white rice rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon butter divided
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup white onion diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 green onions thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 eggs whisked
- ¼ cup soy sauce or sub tamari for gluten free option
- Add the rice and water to your Instant Pot, then pressure cook it for 4 minutes, natural release it for 10 minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure. Transfer the rice to a large bowl then place it in the refrigerator, preferably overnight.
- Next, press "sauté" on your Instant Pot and set it for 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoon butter, and once it's melted, add the carrots, onion, peas, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes; then, add the green onion and toasted sesame oil and sauté for 1 minute.
- Push everything to the one side of your Instant Pot, then add the remaining tablespoon of butter, along with the eggs and stir for about 30 seconds until the eggs are scrambled. Stir everything in the Instant Pot together.
- Last, add the rice and soy sauce and let it sit for about 2 minutes, then give it a good stir again so that the rice is coated in the sauce.
- Before serving, top with black pepper, salt to taste, and more green onions and enjoy!