This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole features both broccoli and cauliflower coated in a creamy cheese sauce that's made healthier by using Greek yogurt. The whole thing comes together in 35 minutes, and is the perfect side dish or meatless meal!
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is a great way to jazz up your veggies! It was inspired by popular cheesy cauliflower bake, but it's different. Similar, but not the same, you know?
I love making cheese-filled recipes, like my chicken sausage casserole and my cauliflower rice skillet. They make for hearty sides, though this one is lightened up and uses yogurt in place of cream cheese or sour cream. I think you're going to love it!
- Made with broccoli and cauliflower, making it an easy way to get in a serving of vegetables
- The cheese sauce is made with shredded cheddar cheese, along with Greek yogurt and a little mustard for flavor
- Topped with breadcrumbs and broiled for a few minutes so they get nice and crispy for added texture
Broccoli & cauliflower - The stars of this dish! I really wouldn't omit them.
Leeks & garlic - These aromatics are used to add depth and flavor to this recipe. Don't love leeks? Substitute for ½ cup of diced onion instead.
Milk - Any kind except coconut milk
Yogurt - I used Greek yogurt, but any kind of plain yogurt will work
Smoked paprika - adds a little kick to this dish; if you want less of a kick, reduce the amount you use or switch to sweet paprika instead of smoked, and if you want more of a kick, add a pinch of cayenne as well
Mustard - highly recommend Dijon mustard over yellow mustard
Cheese - I used sharp cheddar cheese, but feel free to use a mix of cheddar and parmesan, mozzarella or even gruyere.
Step 1: Cook the veggies. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add the broccoli and cauliflower and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Sauté. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add the leeks and sauté for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
Step 3: Make the cheese sauce. In a bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk the milk, yogurt, cornstarch, smoked paprika, dijon mustard, salt and pepper together. Pour the mixture into the skillet, and bring to a slow simmer, then sprinkle in the cheese and whisk until the sauce is smooth.
Step 4: Combine and bake. Pour the broccoli and cauliflower into the skillet and stir so that they're coated in the sauce, then transfer everything to a small baking dish. Sprinkle everything with breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes, then broil for 2-3 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Tips, tricks and FAQs
- To speed up this recipe, buy pre-cut broccoli florets and cauliflower florets (usually found in bags in the produce section).
- For this recipe, I recommend using a 9x9 casserole dish or something similar in size. If you want to double the recipe, then use something larger like a 9x13 dish.
- You must use cornstarch in order to get the sauce to thicken, but if you're all our, you can use all purpose flour instead.
- This recipe is naturally low carb, and can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free breadcrumbs.
Can I use frozen broccoli or cauliflower instead of fresh?
Sure can! Simply follow the exact same instructions, but you may need to cook the veggies for an extra minute or two.
Can this recipe be prepped in advance?
Yep! Just follow all of the steps, but instead of baking, cover the dish with foil and refrigerate it for up to 2 days in advance.
What can I serve alongside this casserole?
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To reheat: Reheat leftovers in the microwave. Or, heat your oven to 325°, cover the casserole dish and head until everything is warmed through, about 20 minutes.
More veggie-filled recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- 4 cups broccoli florets from 2 broccoli crowns
- 3 cups cauliflower florets about 1 small head
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup leeks thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add the broccoli and cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the milk, yogurt, cornstarch, smoked paprika, mustard, salt, and pepper together in a bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Pour the milk mixture into the skillet and bring it to a low simmer. Then, sprinkle in the cheese and whisk until smooth; remove from the heat. Pour in the broccoli and cauliflower and stir to combine so that the veggies are coated in the cheese sauce.
- Transfer everything to a 9x9 baking dish. Sprinkle the casserole with breadcrumbs and bake it for 20 minutes, then broil for 2-5 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown, being careful not to burn them. Enjoy!