This Cheesy Savory Oatmeal is made with cheddar cheese and topped with brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, a fried egg, and Cholula® Original Hot Sauce for extra flavor.
Oh hey look, an oatmeal recipe! Guys, I’ve finally found the oatmeal of my dreams! Or should I say of ALL our dreams?! SAVORY OATMEAL. If you are someone who craves savory in the morning, this savory oatmeal breakfast bowl is for you.
I’ll admit, I’m a creature of habit. I sort of think we all are…? Miguel and I tend to eat eggs and toast for breakfast most mornings, while my mom tends to eat (don’t quote me on this….) yogurt and/or oatmeal for breakfast. We stick to our routine because it’s comfortable and easy, but occasionally it gets a little….stale. Boring. Bland. And quite frankly, I don’t always get excited for breakfast. Know what I mean?
Now, I’m not saying we all need to go wild and outside our comfort zones every day, but maybe once or twice a week, it’d be good to switch it up and make breakfast exciting again, and this breakfast bowl IS exciting I tell ya!
First of all, it combines all the best breakfast foods: sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, eggs, and oatmeal. While the cheese is optional, I think it really adds to the savoriness of this dish (as cheese tends to do). Then there’s the Cholula Hot Sauce, which adds a ton of flavor to the dish. Sure, there’s the shallots that I added to the oatmeal and the cheese, but it’s the Cholula that really adds flavor to the oatmeal. Cholula is a staple condiment for Miguel and I to add flavor to a variety of different means—it’s a honestly just a good condiment to have in our cabinet.
So there ya have it: savory oatmeal! Who knew? I feel like you don’t see it nearly often enough, but it is so, so good and dare I say completely underrated?! It is. This cheesy savory oatmeal will have your tastebuds thanking you for days, friends. DAYS.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Cholula. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that help make this site possible — it means the world to me!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp shallots, minced
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- ½ cup old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
- 5 cups water (or more depending on your preference)
- Optional: ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, sliced
- 1 small-medium sweet potato, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 eggs, depending on your preference
- 1-2 tbsp Cholula Hot Sauce, or more to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat then add the shallots and stir for 1-2 minutes. Next, add the oats and water, stir, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and simmer oats for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until oats are cooked.
- While oats are cooking, heat oil in a separate skillet, then add the brussels sprouts and sweet potato, sprinkle them with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until they're cooked. Note: you may need to add more oil so that they cook faster.
- Once the sprouts and potatoes are cooked, turn the heat down to low and use a spatula to create a hole in the center of the skillet; then, crack an egg in the center. If you're cooking two eggs, create two holes. Fry the egg(s) until it's cooked all the way through.
- Once the oats are cooked, stir in the cheese until it's melted.
- To assemble: pour oats into a bowl then top them with the brussels sprouts, potatoes, egg, and last but certainly not least, the Cholula!