A quick Paleo Beef Pho recipe that’s Whole30 compliant and completely delicious. It uses zucchini and kelp noodles to keep it gluten free, and is full of flavor!
Amidst all the sweets and alcohol recipes, I’m feeling the need to share something on the healthier side. Even if you don’t want a healthy recipe right now (totally understandable), you WILL want it come January—promise!
Exciting news! I finished my holiday shopping yesterday. Woohoo! If that doesn’t give you a snapshot of just how NOT exciting my life is, I don’t know what will. I came home from teaching barre, took Layla for a walk and then said PEACE OUT GIRLFRIEND and spent the afternoon shopping+wrapping gifts. I figured since I was in Christmas mode, it was a good idea to just go ahead and wrap everything before I procrastinated that too.
I’ve also been fighting a mild cold (read: sore throat) for the past two weeks, but it won’t go away because I keep drinking every weekend. Wait—how bad does that sound? What I mean is that, when I go out with my friends on Saturdays, even if I only have two glasses of wine, I’ll wake up the next day and my throat will be suuuuuper sore. Then by Tuesday-Wednesday of the next week it’ll be fine, and then it’ll start all over again when Satruday rolls around. I feel like a real adult would just stay in, but I have so many parties and guys, I’ve never felt so popular. So I’m going and my body will just have to deal with sickness.
One thing that miiiiight help a little is this Paleo beef pho. OMGsh I’m obsessed. I made it twice for good measure, and it was excellent both times. I followed this method for making pho and then put my own spin on it by using zucchini noodles (ZOODLES, ftw) and kelp noodles instead of rice noodles. Miguel’s a little weird about certain foods (meaning he’s a pickier eater than I am), so I wasn’t sure how he’d feel about this, but much to my surprise, he loved it!
This Paleo beef pho IS Whole30 compliant, but whether you’re doing Whole30 or not, you should defffffinitely try this recipe!
^^how ugly is that soft boiled egg?! I was having major difficulties peeling them. UGH. Still good though! If you’re looking for another paleo-friendly recipe, check out this paleo broccoli shrimp with zucchini noodles..Print
Paleo Beef Pho
A Paleo Beef Pho recipe that’s Whole30 compliant and completely delicious! It uses zucchini and kelp noodles to keep it gluten free and it’s packed with flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2-3
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 4 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 1/2 package (1/2 lb.) kelp noodles
- 1 zucchini, spiralized
- 1/2 lb. beef, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 can bean sprouts, basil and lime for garnish
- Place onion and ginger on a baking sheet and broil on high for 5 minutes or so, or until onions start turning slightly golden.
- While they’re broiling, place cinnamon, cloves and star anise in a large saucepan and heat over medium-high.
- Transfer broiled ginger and onion to saucepan; add fish sauce and beef broth and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place beef, salt and pepper in a skillet and cook beef completely.
- While beef is cooking, make the kelp noodles according to instructions on the package, and spiralize the zucchini. Once kelp noodles are almost cooked, add zucchini noodles to pot and cook for 3-5 minutes. You want the noodles to be softer, but not soggy.
- At this point. strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer, removing all of the “chunks” and stuff.
- Strain the noodles and place into a bowl (or bowls). Add beef to bowls and then pour strained broth overtop.
- If NOT doing Whole30/keeping this Paleo, add 1-2 tbsp sriracha overtop.
Keywords: pho, beef pho, paleo pho, whole30 pho