This three layer Vegan Vanilla Cake is moist, made with easy-to-find ingredients and is topped with a smooth chai spice icing. You must try it!
Omgsh, a vegan vanilla cake just for you!
Guys I have to apologize—I’ve been horribly, horribly sick since Tuesday (still am!), which is why I’ve been a bit absent. I’m hoping that whatever I have goes away soon because I’m not sure how much more lying around and doing nothing I can take. It’s driving me crazy!
With that said, I’m keeping things a bit short today, but not before I tell you about this cake.
It’s a three layer vanilla cake topped with a thick icing made from powdered sugar and milk (basic), along with CHAI SPICES (totally not basic). It’s Miguel-approved (as most of my recipes are) and Miguel’s coworkers also approve of it. In fact, I was informed this dessert was dubbed the favorite by one of his coworkers. Now how’s that for an endorsement?
If you aren’t into chai (who are you?!) you can omit the spices and enjoy a simple vanilla cake with vanilla icing. I know pies are the thing to bring for Thanksgiving, but if your family is one of those families that brings multiple desserts, you may just want to consider this cake, especially if someone in your family is vegan.
I said I was keeping things short and that’s exactly what I’m doing. If you need me, I’ll be on my couch. Woof. If you make this vanilla cake, make sure to tag #thealmondeater on Instagram! And if you’re looking for another vegan cake recipe, check out this one–it’s a goodie.Print
Vegan Vanilla Cake with Chai Spice Icing
This three layer Vegan Vanilla Cake is moist, made with easy-to-find ingredients and topped with a smooth chai spice icing that’s sure to please!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: One 3 tier 6" cake
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: cake
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the icing:
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cloves, all spice and cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together; add milk, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla to that bowl and stir to combine.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until everything is mixed together, being careful not to over-stir.
- Grease three 6″ cake pans with nonstick spray or coconut oil and then pour batter evenly into pans, banging them on the countertop a few times so the batter evens out.
- Bake cakes for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cakes are done, leave them in the pans for 10 minutes before carefully transferring them onto a cooling rack. Wait until cakes are completely cook before icing them.
- For the icing: cream powdered sugar and butter together; add milk, vanilla and spices to the bowl and mix with an electric mixer until everything is smooth.
- To assemble: Once the cakes have cooked, remove the “dome” from each cake so that the tops of the cakes are flat. Next, ice the top of one of those cakes using a generous amount of icing and then place a second cake overtop, using the icing as glue to hold them together. Repeat this again for the third and final layer. Last, ice the top and sides of the cake.
- Cut and enjoy!
Keywords: cake, vegan cake, vanilla cake, vegan vanilla cake, chai cake, dessert