These Zesty Orange Scones with Shredded Coconut are dairy free, vegan and can be made in just 30 minutes! A delicious breakfast or grab-and-go snack.
I’m not even going to pretend like I wasn’t a little nervous to make these scones because….. I was. I was nervous they wouldn’t turn out and I was nervous they would take longer than 30 minutes but alas, they do not. YAY. I referenced this recipe from darling Martha, and she assured me that scones aren’t as scary as they sound. Plus, I’m all about orange zest+orange flavored baked goods. Oh and these scones are VEGAN because I’m still trying to balance baking with “normal” ingredients to baking with specialized ingredients. So far I think I’m doing a decent job, so I suppose that’s not up to me to decide 😀
So, what are we all doing this weekend? I know I’m going out tonight with Miguel and some friends (follow along on snapchat: thealmondeater) and then I’m headed to a barre class Saturday morning, but that’s the extent of my weekend agenda. I’m of course going to be testing out some recipes—I have veggie burgers, cupcakes and muffins on the list, so we’ll see which ones are successes and which ones are fails, because there’s a zero percent chance all three of them would work out. ….and that’s ok! That’s the nature of the job and as much as I hate it sometimes, it helps me learn about what DOES work and what ingredients make sense together. Too corny? Nahhhh.
Now about these scones.
You’ll essentially mix everything together, place some flour on a baking mat or cutting board, use your hands to form the dough into a circle and then press down on it so it’s flat, carefully cut three lines into the dough, forming six scones, and then placing the scones on a baking sheet and baking in the oven.
….Ok that doesn’t make it sound easy, but I swear it is. The glaze overtop is simply powdered sugar, a dash of almond milk and orange zest. MMMMM.
These orange scones are perfect for breakfast, but I found they also make an awesome afternoon snack. Make ‘em, pack ‘em in your lunch and have ‘em make your day THAT much better.
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar OR raw cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal+2 tbsp water, mixed and set aside for 5 minutes)
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup coconut
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Start by making the flax egg (combining flaxseed meal and water) and setting aside, allowing time for the mixture to form into an egg-like texture.
- Next, mix dry ingredients together in a bowl: flour, sugars, salt, baking powder, shredded coconut
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients: coconut oil, milk, flax egg, orange juice, orange zest
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Once dough becomes thick, use your hands to form it into a large bowl.
- Spread a bit of flour overtop a baking mat or cutting board and then, using your hands, flatten the dough out so that it's about 1 inch thick, placing more flour overtop so that the dough doesn't stick.
- Use a knife to cut dough three times, forming 6 scones.
- Place scones on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until edges become golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle glaze overtop.
- Sprinkle with orange zest and enjoy!
Q: Favorite bakery item? I tend to go for the banana bread, but scones are never a bad idea if you ask me!