These Paleo Cod Lettuce Wraps are made with cajun-seasoned cod topped with onion, tomatoes, avocado, and an avocado dressing.
Say hello to Miguel’s new favorite TAE recipe—cod lettuce wraps! I had no idea he’d be so impressed, but he was, so WIN for me and now for you too. Truthfully, before I started Whole 30 all of two days ago, I was eating a LOT more fish than meat simply because I adore fish that much. My first choice will forever be salmon, but I’d probably say my second choice is cod. It’s super flakey and easy to marinate—I love it.
[PS if you missed why I’m doing Whole 30, it’s because I’m still getting almost-daily headaches and I’m trying to determine if there’s a connection between my diet+the headaches. I will of course keep you posted!]
Phew, ok so now that we cleared things up, let’s talk about the concept of lettuce wraps. The next time you’re eating tacos/any sort of wrap, try subbing out the tortilla with two pieces of lettuce instead. I’d say it’s one of the easiest ways to eliminate carbs from a meal and to add something lighter. But! They key is adding plenty of flavor so you don’t necessarily miss the tortilla/wrap, ya see.
I opted to season the cod with—wait for it—cajun seasoning and two tablespoons of almond flour, so the fish is fried but completely gluten free! I then proceeded to add red, onion, grape tomatoes and avocado to the wraps.
Last but certainly not least is the avocado dressing. You have two options with this dressing—one Paleo and one not—so choose whatever one works best for you and your diet.
Option 1: yogurt (either regular or dairy free), avocado, lime juice, pinch of salt
Option 2: olive oil or avocado oil, avocado, lime juice, pinch of salt
Both are delicious and both with add flavor to these wraps and make them less bland, but if you go with option 1 you’ll most likely have to add a bit of water to the mixture to keep it from being too thick.
Whichever you choose, I guarantee these cod lettuce wraps will exceed all expectations! Promise.
Paleo Cod Lettuce WrapsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 lb. cod
- 2 tbsp almond flour or gluten free flour of choice
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil or sub avocado or coconut oil
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup grape tomatoes sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- For the dressing:
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil OR 1/4 cup yogurt+1/4 cup water if not paleo
- Pinch of salt
- Combine flour and cajun seasoning in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a skillet, then dip both sides of cod into the flour mixture, and then place directly into the pan.
- Cook cod for approximately 3 minutes on each side, or until flakey; remove from skillet and place directly on lettuce.
- Add red onion, tomatoes and avocado slices to lettuce wraps.
- For the sauce: add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulse until combined.
- Drizzle sauce over wraps, then drizzle the juice from the other half of the lime over them too.