It’s Friday, Friday, FRIDAYYYYYY. Why Rebecca Black just popped in my head is beyond me, but she did. What ever happened to her anyway? I wonder what she’s doing right now… Ok not important. What’s important is that it’s FRIDAY, which is inevitably pizza night for many people.
I wouldn’t say Miguel and I eat pizza every Friday night—probably more like most Friday nights. As much as I like traditional pepperoni pizza, it’s fun to switch it up sometimes. Like sweet potato pizza, for example. Since Miguel doesn’t like sweet potatoes (um…weirdo), Angela (link) and I demolished the pizza ourselves. I certainly wasn’t mad about it, and I don’t think she was either.
Now I had every intention of making the crust myself. Ok not really, but I was going to buy the dough and then roll it out myself but guess what??! Whole Food was out of pizza dough. I didn’t even know that was possible. Instead, I opted for this gluten free pizza crust, which was pretty darn good in my opinion.
I feel like I crave sweet potatoes every fall, but besides sweet potatoes I’ve been on a serious brussels sprouts kick lately. I don’t know what’s gotten into me, but I hope whatever it is never goes away. I topped the pizza with brussels sprouts because I had/still have an abundance of them and I figured why not? …kind of like an ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ pizza, because I also topped it with goat cheese which I was running low on and pecans because sweet potatoes+pecans=perfection.
You know I love almonds, but pecans are just so fall, specially November. Yes, I just gave pecans a season (if they didn’t already have one). This pizza essentially summarizes all of my current food cravings sooo—enjoy!
Homemade Sweet Potato Pizza
- Pizza crust I used Alvardo Street Bakery crust from Whole Foods
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1 oz. goat cheese or more, depending on your preference
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Cook sweet potatoes in a pot of water and boil until potatoes are soft; place potatoes in a food processor and pulse until they are soft (kind of like mashed potatoes)
- Slice brussels sprouts into thin pieces and then cook with the olive oil and vinegar in a pan over the stovetop. Cook until slightly browned.
- Spread sweet potato mash evenly onto crust.
- Place sprouts, pecans (crushed or whole), and goat cheese overtop of pizza.
- Place in the oven and heat for 15 minutes or until the bottom of the crust is slightly browned.
- Cut and enjoy!
Q: Current food craving/obsession?