These Garlic Broccoli Steaks are a fun way to eat broccoli. They’re made with minimal ingredients and go from good to great thanks to the garlic aioli.
You see, cauliflower steaks have been popular for awhile now, but I feel like we don’t see enough broccoli steaks, and they’re just as good if not better! Roasted broccoli is way better than steamed broccoli, and somehow eating broccoli with a fork and knife makes it seem more filling. I can’t explain it, but it’s true.
If you’ve never made cauliflower or broccoli steaks before, let me walk you through it because it takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
WHAT ARE BROCCOLI STEAKS
Broccoli steaks are when you slice broccoli vertically and then roast in the oven until the broccoli is cooked. But, similar to steak, you’ll have to eat it with a fork and knife, hence the word “steak” in the name. If you don’t eat meat or are simply looking for a delicious vegetarian meal, these broccoli steaks are IT. Though the broccoli is delicious, the real key to taking these broccoli steaks from good to great is the garlic aioli. It’s a MUST for this recipe in my opinion, mostly because aioli makes everything better, especially vegetables.
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI STEAK
Slice the broccoli: You’ll want to slice the broccoli vertically, starting with the head of the broccoli. I was able to get two full broccoli steaks from one head of broccoli. It’s ok if some of the florets fall of when you’re slicing–nothing to stress about.
Roast the broccoli: Once the broccoli is sliced, place it on a large baking sheet and drizzle it with oil, salt and pepper. Roast the broccoli for 15-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
Make the aioli: While the broccoli is roasting, make the aioli (the best part!). Whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together and set aside. Then, heat oil in a skillet and add the minced garlic, cooking it until it’s golden brown then pouring the garlic and oil in with the mayo and stirring everything together.
So now that broccoli steaks are cool, you should make these babies ASAP.
OTHER BROCCOLI RECIPES
Garlic Broccoli Steaks
- 1 head of broccoli*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: 2 tbsp melted butter
For the aioli:
- 1/2 cup mayo**
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Slice broccoli vertically, with the stem facing up. It's ok if it doesn't slice perfectly--I was able to get two full broccoli "steaks" and then the rest were just broccoli florets.
- Place the broccoli on a baking sheet and then drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. If you want, you can also drizzle some melted butter or ghee overtop.
- Roast broccoli in the oven for 15-25 minutes, or until broccoli is golden brown on the edges.
- While broccoli is cooking, make the aioli. First, scoop mayo into a dish and set aside.
- Next, heat oil in a skillet and add the minced garlic. Cook garlic until right before it starts turning golden brown, and pour garlic and oil into the dish with the mayo; stir.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to the mayo and stir to combine, adding additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat broccoli with a fork and knife, dip in the aioli and enjoy!
**For vegan option, use vegan mayo.