This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This berrylicious Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie is the best way to start your day. Cocoa, blueberries, and simple vegan ingredients transform into an ice-cold and creamy drink. No frozen banana needed!
Blueberries and chocolate are finally getting together! The magical pair transforms into an ice-cold dream in this Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie recipe. It’s a combo you never knew you needed in your life!
Just like my Strawberry Blueberry Smoothie, this easy vegan smoothie isn’t made with frozen banana, yet still has a thick and creamy texture. Every sip features a short list of healthy and vegan-friendly ingredients, like frozen wild blueberries, dairy free milk and yogurt, cocoa powder, and maple syrup. It’s that hint of chocolate that makes every sip irresistible!
Enjoy it for a healthy breakfast or a refreshing snack. Once you try blueberries and chocolate together, you’ll never go back!
Why you’ll love this smoothie
- It’s everything you want in a smoothie: easy ingredients, fruity flavors, and a hint of chocolate.
- It’s super creamy, even without banana!
- Chocolate makes everything better.
- Almond milk - Use dairy free milk to keep the smoothie vegan or swap it for regular milk.
- Blueberries - The #1 rule for making slushy, ice-cold smoothies is to use frozen fruit. If you can, use frozen wild blueberries because their flavor is stronger and punchier compared to regular blueberries.
- Chia seeds - These tiny seeds are a nutritional powerhouse, as they’re packed full of antioxidants, omega 3 fatty acids, and fiber. Bonus: they won’t affect the flavor or texture of your smoothie.
- Cocoa powder - A little goes a long way! For a minimally processed option, use cacao powder instead.
- Maple syrup - For natural sweetness and balance. Pitted dates work well too!
Step 1: Add everything to a blender. Add all of the smoothie ingredients to a blender.
Step 2: Blend and enjoy. Blend until smooth. Taste to adjust the chocolatey flavor, then enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- No need for frozen banana! This smoothie is slushy and creamy thanks to the frozen berries, yogurt, and milk.
- If it isn’t thick enough, add a handful of ice and blend.
- No blueberries at home? Make the smoothie with frozen strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, or a mix of all four instead.
- Top the blended smoothie with cacao nibs, fresh blueberries, or chocolate granola.
What else goes well in a blueberry smoothie?
A scoop of protein powder, espresso powder, ground flaxseed, vanilla extract, more frozen berries, and frozen bananas.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Smoothies always taste best when they’re freshly blended, but you can make it the night ahead if you’d like to save time. Blend up the banana smoothie, store it in an airtight container in the fridge, and enjoy the next day.
More smoothie recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie
- Place ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Taste test and add more cocoa if you want the smootthie to be more chocolate-y. Enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in April 2019. It was updated with new text and photos in May 2022.