Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This brown butter Brussels sprouts salad is made with Brussels sprouts, pancetta and arugula and drizzled with delicious balsamic brown butter you’ve ever had.
Ohhh my my, the most magical brown butter Brussels sprouts salad you’ve ever seen! I had a very similar salad while in San Juan and it completely stole my heart (if a salad can do that sort of thing).
You guys loved my Brussels sprouts pizza, so I figured I’d create another Brussels sprouts recipe for ya because you really can’t go wrong with any sort of Brussels sprouts salad, in my opinion. Brussels sprouts are so versatile, so hopefully you’ll give this one a try.
BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD INGREDIENTS
- olive oil
- brussels sprouts
- parmesan cheese
- balsamic vinegar
When I’d first thought to recreate the salad recipe I had on vacation, I knew what ingredients I wanted to keep and which ones I wanted to omit, but I had no idea how they got the dressing to taste so darn good. It looked like balsamic but it tasted….better than regular balsamic. I’m convinced the formula for getting something to taste better is to just add butter. It works nearly every time.
HOW TO BROWN BUTTER
This is key! The secret ingredient is the balsamic brown butter dressing, and it’s TO DIE FOR. Let’s walk through how to actually brown butter, because it’s actually quite simple
Step 1: Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Step 2: Once the butter has melted, occasionally stir it and keep an eye on it. Slowly, the butter will turn from its normal color to a golden brown color. That’s what you want!
Step 3: As soon as it’s the appropriate color, pour the butter into a bowl. If you leave the butter on the stove, it will burn, so act quickly. That’s it though! Just like that you’ll have beautiful brown butter dressing.
HOW TO MAKE BROWN BUTTER BRUSSELS SPROUTS
For this salad, you’ll start by cooking the pancetta then saving the leftover grease to cook the Brussels sprouts in. YUMMMMM. Then you’ll add the parmesan cheese so that it melts a little bit THEN add half of the brown butter, top the whole thing with arugula, then add the rest of the brown butter. It kind of sort of reminds me of my favorite green bean salad, which I know some of you have made and loved. SO, cheers to sort of healthy and very delicious Brussels sprouts salads!
Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 cup 4 oz. pancetta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups brussels sprouts chopped
- 3 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 heaping cup arugula
for the dressing:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Cook the pancetta in a large nonstick skillet. Once it's cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove the pancetta but save the grease. Place pancetta in a bowl and set aside.
- Add olive oil to the skillet, then cook the brussels sprouts in the skillet over medium-high heat until they're browned to your liking. Pour brussels sprouts and remaining oil into the bowl with the pancetta, then sprinkle cheese over top and stir to combine.
- Next, make the dressing. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to burn it! You want it to be a golden brown color. Pour butter into a bowl, then add the balsamic; stir to combine, then drizzle HALF of it over top of the brussels sprouts mixture.
- Pour mixture out onto a plate or into a large bowl, then top it with the arugula. Drizzle arugula with the rest of the brown butter.