This warm and delectable Apple Coffee Cake features a layer of cinnamon apples inside and a sweet streusel and sugar glaze on top. Enjoy this delicious cake with your morning coffee or serve it as a fun fall dessert!
Every great fall dessert, like Pumpkin Bars and Apple Cupcakes, will make you feel warm and comforted, and this delectable Apple Coffee Cake is no exception! A layer of apples on the inside and a crumbly sweet streusel on top are the real stars in this tasty dessert. Every bite has layers of warming cinnamon and plenty of sweetness, making it the best pairing to a hot cup of coffee or tea.
You know what I really love about coffee cake? It doesn’t just have to be a dessert! Enjoy a slice as a special treat on for breakfast or for a quick pick-me-up snack in the afternoon.
However you choose to enjoy this apple cinnamon coffee cake, I know you’ll walk away feeling satisfied, happy, and comforted!
- It’s really easy to customize. Add in more spices, fruit, or switch up the flour you use!
- Enjoy a slice for breakfast, dessert, or as a sweet snack.
- The perfect treat to make ahead of time or even freeze for later.
- Apples - Honeycrisp, granny smith, gala, or pink lady apples work best. Peel on or off—your preference.
- Cinnamon - Because cinnamon and apples are the perfect combination!
- Flour - I used all purpose flour but white whole wheat flour should work just as well.
- Greek yogurt - This locks in a ton of moisture. Don’t worry about your cake tasting tangy; you’d never guess there was yogurt in it! If you don't have yogurt, plain applesauce should work instead.
- Streusel topping - Any great coffee cake is topped with a sweet and crumbly streusel. It comes together easily using flour, cinnamon, and butter.
Step 1: Mix the wet ingredients. Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Step 2: Mix the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together.
Step 3: Make the batter. Slowly add your dry ingredients into the wet and mix until a sticky batter forms.
Step 4: Prepare the batter for baking. Spoon half of the batter into a prepared cake pan. Sprinkle diced apples and cinnamon sugar on top, then pour in the rest of the batter.
Step 5: Create the streusel topping. Stir the flour, cinnamon, and butter together until a sand-like crumble forms. Add the crumb topping to the top of your cake.
Step 6: Bake the cake. Bake the apple coffee cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool completely on a wire rack, then add the sweet sugar drizzle on top. Serve and enjoy!
Expert tips and FAQs
- Warm up this cake with cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, caramel bits, cinnamon chips, toffee bits, or pecans added to the batter.
- If you aren’t a fan of apples, try using blueberries, bananas, peaches, or pumpkin puree instead.
- Enjoy each slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of salted caramel sauce, or fresh whipped cream on top.
Can it be made vegan?
Absolutely! To make this apple coffee cake vegan, simply swap the butter, Greek yogurt, and milk for dairy free alternatives. Replace the eggs with 2 flax eggs instead.
Is there coffee in coffee cake?
Although this sweet dessert has the word coffee in the title, there is no actual coffee in the cake. It’s only called “coffee cake” because it pairs so well with coffee or tea!
Can you make coffee cake ahead of time?
Yes! In fact, the flavors get even better a day or two after the cake is baked.
- Room temperature: Wrap the leftover slices or cake in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container. Store on the counter for up to 2 days.
- Refrigerator: Keep the leftover cake in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Freezer: Store the apple crumb cake in a freezer-safe bag or wrap it in plastic. Freeze for up to 2 or 3 months.
More cake recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Apple Coffee Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
for the apples:
- 1 ½ cups apple peeled and diced (approx. 1 large or 2 small apples)
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
for the crumb topping:
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon butter softened
for the glaze:
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk of choice or more
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9" or 10" round springform pan with parchment paper, then grease the sides with coconut oil or nonstick spray; set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl; then, add the eggs, yogurt and vanilla to that same bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, stir the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together with an electric mixer. The batter will be a little sticky -- that's ok! Scoop HALF of the batter into your prepared cake pan, using a spatula or the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
- Next, add the apples on top, then in a small bowl, stir the sugar and cinnamon together then sprinkle that mixture over the apples.
- Scoop the remaining batter on top of the apples, smoothing it out as best you can (don't worry if it's not perfect).
- Next, make the crumb topping: stir flour and cinnamon together in a small bowl, then add in the butter and use your hands to combine everything until small crumbs form (this will take 1-2 minutes). Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the cake.
- Place the springform pan on top of a large baking sheet to prevent any accidental spillage, then place the pan into the oven. Bake the cake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the cake pan and transfer it to a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before carefully removing it.
- Before serving, drizzle the glaze on top. Enjoy!
Do you think it would work with Bob’s Red Mill 1to1 gluten free flour?
Yes I think so!
This is what fall is about - yummy coffee cake. Thank you.
I'mm so glad you liked it!