What better way to celebrate your pup’s special day than with this Mini Dog Birthday Cake?! Complete with peanut butter and cheese, it’s sure to please.
Um yeah, I went there. Dogs deserve cake too! My baby turns TWO today—like, how? I figured she deserved a dog birthday cake this year.
Growing up, I always wanted a dog, and in college, Miguel and I used to talk about getting a dog and maybe we sometimes spent every waking moment Googling dog photos. Then, Layla came into both of our lives and I can say with certainty that she’s all I ever wanted.
Layla/Layla Bear/Lay/Mamacita/Lil Mama/Cutes Magee/and as of late, Big Booty Judy..
Keeps me company all day long
Has never once chewed a pair of my shoes (but did chew my couch this one time…)
Makes me smile at least 22 times every single day
Has the ugliest/most precious underbite
Is my excuse for leaving the bar earlier than planned on Saturday nights (“guys, I gotta go, Layla’s been alone for the past 5 hours and she misses me and I want to cuddle her”)
Is super friendly to every single person she meets
Has taught me [some] patience
Is the worst guard dog ever, but she tries to… “A” for effort
Brings so much joy into my life
Makes me cry on the spot when I look at her and think about the fact that she’s not going to live forever (*crying*)
OK THAT’S DEPRESSING sorry. Today we’re celebrating another year in the books. Also the fact that I’m forcing her to live forever. Yes? Yes. I figured what better way to celebrate than with a mini dog birthday cake?
A few additional fun facts..
Likes: the vet, all humans, thunderstorms, bones, her ball, her dog bed, carpet, sticks, running, belly rubs
Dislikes: intersections, buses, loud noises, super busy streets, dogs bigger than she is
Other obvious likes include pumpkin, peanut butter and cheese, so clearly those needed to be included in her cake. How are we celebrating? Coincidentally, we’re headed to my moms house for dinner tonight, so I think we’ll give her her cake then (ok, she maybe already had a bite when these photos were taken, but STILL) and I also bought her a new bone. ….super necessary, obviously.
Layla, thanks for being you. I look forward to many more years spent together with hopefully a sliiiiightly less hyper you, but for now, I will continue to spoil you with this dog birthday cake and love you for being the crazy pup you are.
Want another dog cake option? Check out this pumpkin cake!Print
Mini Dog Birthday Cake
Celebrate your pup’s special day with this Mini Dog Birthday Cake, complete with peanut butter AND cheese!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 1
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup honey (preferably raw)
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt*
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease two 4″ cake pans with a bit of coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking soda; set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over low-medium heat.
- While coconut oil is melting, whisk egg, honey, pumpkin, applesauce, peanut butter, and vanilla together in a large bowl using an electric mixer. Last, stir in the melted coconut oil.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine.
- Pour batter evenly into the two pans, pounding them on the countertop a few times to the batter lays flat. Place the cake pans on a baking sheet and the baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake cakes for 20-30 minutes**, or until a toothpick comes out clean or mostly clean.
- Let the cakes sit in the pans for 10 minutes before running a knife along the edges and flipping them over onto a cooling rack. Wait until cakes are completely cool before icing.
- For the icing: stir yogurt and peanut butter together
- Assembly: slice the tops of both cakes off (the “dome” part) and then lay the cut edges together, placing a bit of icing in between. Top the cake with additional icing. Additionally, if you want to cover the entire cake with icing (rather than just the top and middle), just double the icing ingredients.
- Top the cake with cheese to make your pup’s special day that much better!
*Try to buy yogurt with the least amount of sugar if possible
**Cook times vary. My oven takes forever to heat up, so the cakes took about 30 minutes, but I recommend checking yours after 20 minutes.
Keywords: dog cake, dog birthday cake, mini dog cake