This jackfruit pulled pork recipe is a delicious vegan-friendly alternative to traditional barbecue pulled pork, and it’s ready in under 30 minutes!
Bring on the jackfruit pulled pork! No but really, I’m very into it and so is Miguel, so you know they must be good. I tried jackfruit pulled pork a few years ago and liked it, but I wasn’t in love with it until creating this barbecue jackfruit recipe. One of my favorite things to do is to prepare recipes and make people try them before telling them what it is. That’s exactly what you should do when making this recipe, mostly because so many people are unfamiliar with jackfruit.
WHAT IS JACKFRUIT?
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit that grows on trees. If you’ve never seen it in stores, you should probably Google it because it’s wild looking. You can buy it whole at farmer’s markets if you like, but to be honest, I always buy canned jackfruit because it’s easier to handle. You can easily pull the jackfruit apart, so the texture resembles traditional pulled pork, and tt has a pretty neutral flavor, making it incredibly versatile.
JACKFRUIT PULLED PORK RECIPE
This vegan pulled pork is made using easy-to-find ingredients, but you’ll be blown away by the flavor. The key to this recipe is the barbecue sauce, so be sure to use your favorite (vegan-friendly) BBQ sauce. The other spices include garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder, plus fire roasted diced tomatoes.
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN JACKFRUIT SANDWICH
So how do you actually make jackfruit pulled pork? Let me tell you!
Start by draining the water from the cans of jackfruit and rinsing the jackfruit, then pouring it onto a cutting board. Use your hands to pull the jackfruit apart so that it resembles pulled pork, then transfer it to a large skillet.
Sprinkle the spices over the pulled pork, then add the diced tomatoes and barbecue sauce and bring everything to a simmer. You’ll probably have to add some water to loosen everything up; I recommend starting with 1/4 cup and going from there. Place a lid on the skillet and simmer the mixture for 10-15 minutes. Typically, the longer you simmer the more flavor the jackfruit will absorb.
OTHER VEGAN DINNER RECIPES
Vegan Jackfruit Pulled Pork Recipe
- 2 cans 28 oz. total jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp flour of choice
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes fire roasted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water or more
- hamburger buns
- broccoli slaw or cabbage
- Once you've drained and rinsed the jackfruit, pour it onto a cutting board. Use your hands to pull the jackfruit apart so that it resembles traditional pulled pork, then place it directly into a large skillet.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat, then sprinkle the flour over the jackfruit and stir (this will help to absorb some of the moisture.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Once mixture starts bubbling, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve pulled jackfruit on a bun with slaw or cabbage, and enjoy!