This tofu broccoli stir fry is made with long grain brown rice and topped with roasted broccoli and crispy tofu. It’s a quick and healthy dinner recipe and vegan-friendly, too!
I have no idea why it’s taken me so long to share this broccoli stir fry recipe. It’s one that I’ve made over and over again, but I guess the truth is that I’d never really measured out the ingredients. ….I guess I just answered my own question! If you’re a fan of chicken broccoli rice, or shrimp broccoli stir fry, you NEED to try this tofu stir fry.
WHY THIS TOFU STIR FRY IS SO GOOD
- It’s a quick, meatless meal
- The flavor of the sauce is UNREAL
- It’ll turn tofu haters into tofu fans
- It’s an easy weeknight meal, and perfect for Meatless Monday
STIR FRY INGREDIENTS
- 1 block extra/super firm tofu: this is very important! The firmer the tofu, the less liquid there is, and the less liquid there is the easier it is for the tofu to become crispy (which is what we want!)
- Broccoli: We can all agree that roasted broccoli is better than steamed, right? Roasting broccoli provides more flavor, and more flavor is always a good idea
- Long grain brown rice: Yes, long grain! Read below for why I prefer it.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY TOFU
First, press the tofu. This step is key! I like using this tofu press, but you can also set the tofu onto a towel, then place another towel on top and press it that way (either with your hands, or by placing a heavy object on top). I recommend pressing the tofu for at least one hour, but preferably four or more.
Once the tofu’s been pressed, use a knife to cut it into cubes, then place those cubes into a plastic bag. Add corn starch and soy sauce, then seal the bag and shake it so that the tofu is coated. Alternatively, you can sub tamari or coconut aminos if you prefer.
Now it’s time to fry the tofu! Heat oil in a large skillet, then add the tofu, making sure it’s spaced out a bit. You may need to the cook the tofu in two batches depending on the size of your skillet. You also need to keep an eye on the tofu because it’ll need to be turned a few times so that all sides of the tofu get fried. While the tofu is cooking, make the sauce.
The last step is to turn the heat off, then pour the sauce into the skillet and use a spatula or wooden spoon to stir the tofu so that it’s covered in sauce. If you’re having trouble getting the sauce to thicken, turn the heat back on low and that should do the trick.
LONG GRAIN VS. SHORT GRAIN RICE
I mentioned earlier that you want to use LONG GRAIN brown rice, not short. But why? Long grain rice stays fluffy and separate after cooking, whereas short grain rice gets very sticky. The actual tofu marinade in this recipe is a bit sticky, so we want to avoid also having sticky rice. Instead, the contrast of sticky (yet crispy!) tofu and cooked long grain rice is a much better texture combination. Note: feel free to use basmati rice if you prefer!
OTHER TOFU RECIPESPrint
Tofu Broccoli Stir Fry
This tofu broccoli stir fry is made with brown rice then topped with roasted broccoli and crispy tofu covered in an Asian-inspired sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 block super/extra firm tofu, pressed
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp soy sauce*
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice, rinsed
for the sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce*
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Optional: 1 tsp sriracha
- Place tofu in your tofu press and press for at least one hour.
- Heat oven to 400°, then place chopped broccoli onto a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Place rice in a saucepan with 2 cups of water and cook according to package instructions.
- Slice pressed tofu into cubes, then place the cubes directly into a plastic bag. Add corn starch and soy sauce, seal the bag then shake until the tofu is coated.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the tofu and fry on all sides. While the tofu is cooking, make the sauce: whisk all sauce ingredients together then set aside.
- Once the tofu is fried on all sides, turn off the heat then pour the sauce into the skillet and use a spoon or spatula to stir the tofu so that it’s completely covered in the sauce.
- Combine the rice, broccoli and tofu into a bowl and enjoy!
Keywords: stir fry, tofu stir fry, broccoli stir fry