These Vegan Plum Crumb Bars are made with fresh plums, ginger and a tasty crumb topping and are a great summertime treat!
I’m just SO into these vegan plum crumb bars. Maybe you saw me style them on Instagram last week? Whether you did or didn’t, you can find the tutorial in my “highlights” on Instagram.
I received a few questions about the tutorial, with the most common being “is this how you normally shoot your photos?”, and the answer is no! I took these photos on my back deck, so outside in the sunshine because I wanted to achieve that bright light/harsh shadows look. However, I normally style my photos inside on my kitchen table—I’m thinking about doing another tutorial soon, so stay tuned! I know I’m quite a nosey person, so anytime someone lets me get a glimpse into their life—whether it’s their day-to-day activities or their creative process—I’m all ears.
Apparently my trend is to create one plum recipe per year, with last year being these plum muffins and the year before it was this plum bake. I thought it only fitting to continue the plum baked goods tradition with some bars.
These vegan plum crumb bars were 100% inspired by my mango crumb bars. Ugh, they’re just so good! I wanted to make these bars vegan though, which was surprisingly simple. I just used dairy free butter instead of regular butter, and then used a flax egg in place of the regular egg. Easy peasy!
These bars come together in about 45 minutes, which includes prep time and bake time. Not too shabby if you ask me. If you happen to stumble upon a container of fresh plums, consider whipping up these plum crumb bars. I added some fresh ginger to them for a kick, but I’m going to make it optional in the recipe for those of you who don’t love ginger.
Either way, they’re a delicious summertime treat!Print
Vegan Plum Crumb Bars
These Vegan Plum Crumb Bars are made with fresh plums and ginger and are an easy summertime treat.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 16 bars
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: bars
for the crust:
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cold dairy free butter
- 1 flax egg*
for the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh plums, diced
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, granted**
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Make flax egg then set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; then, cut butter into the bowl, then add the flax egg and use your hands to combine everything together. The mixture shouldn’t be too sticky–it should be slightly crumby but still able to hold together.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish with coconut oil, or use foil to line the dish, then press 3/4 of the mixture down into the bottom of the dish.
- For the filling: add all ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Then, pour it over top of the crust. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 crust mixture over top of the plum filling.
- Bake bars for approximately 30 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden.
- Remove from oven, then wait until they’re cooled before cutting and serving. These bars stay the freshest if they’re stored in the refrigerator. Feel free to sprinkle extra sugar over top if desired.
*To make a flax egg, combine 1 tbsp flaxseed meal with 2 1/2 tbsp water. Stir, then let it sit for 5-10 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
**Ginger is optional! If you’re not a fan, simply omit it.
Keywords: plum bars, vegan crumb bars