These Coconut Carrot Cake Muffins are filled with toasted coconut and drizzled with a sweet coconut glaze.
Oh my gosh HI!! Long time no talk. Did you see my recent news? Ok well if you didn’t hopefully now you did, but if you still didn’t click that link, Miguel and I bought a house! So basically I’ve been a little preoccupied, but *trying* to get back into the work groove. The truth is that I love my job, Love with a capital “L”, but I know myself and if I don’t fully unpack this week and get somewhat organized, I’ll put if off for a month, or possibly longer.
So yeah! I think I’ll tell you more about my house in my February Things post, which I actually plan on writing this month. I skipped out last month intentionally because—I’m not even sure this makes sense—I was a weird mix of really busy and not busy at all. I have more to say about February though so we’re good.
Onto these beauties!! Coconut and carrot cake are a match made in heaven. Also I feel like carrot cake is spring flavor and I know it’s February, but it was 70° yesterday in Pittsburgh, so in my mind, it’s basically spring. These carrot cake muffins are packed with shredded carrots (yay vegetables!) and toasted coconut, and then drizzled with a coconut glaze and topped with more toasted coconut. And no, it’s not overwhelming because the coconut adds a subtle flavor to these delicious and kinda sorta healthy carrot cake muffins.
These muffins were approved by myself, Miguel and a handful of people are the barre studio, so they gotta be good. I’m also already dreaming of making another batch and thinking they might be the first thing I bake in my new house/kitchen. AWWW.
Corny and cheesy, don’t care!Print
Toasted Coconut Carrot Cake Muffins
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 16 muffins
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- For the glaze:
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, or more if you want a thicker glaze
- Optional: toasted coconut for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pour coconut out onto a baking sheet and toast coconut until it’s golden. Be VERY careful not to burn it–I recommend checking it after 3 minutes, then again after 5 minutes and so on. You want it to smell and taste like toasted coconut, not burnt! Once coconut is toasted, set it aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
- Next, melt coconut oil in microwave or over stovetop then set aside, allowing a few minutes for it to come to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, mix coconut milk, syrup, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla together; then, add the coconut oil.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients in the same bowl, then stir the shredded carrots and toasted coconut in by hand.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and distribute the batter into the liners. Bake muffins for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from the oven and while muffins are cooling, make the glaze by whisking milk and powdered sugar together.
- Drizzle glaze over top of muffins, sprinkle them with extra shredded coconut and enjoy!