Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These Lavender Espresso Pancakes are made with espresso powder and topped with a sweet lavender glaze plus maple syrup.
You know I can’t go more than a few weeks without sharing a lavender recipe. Recently, I’ve had a few people tell me that they think lavender-flavored anything tastes like soap. Do you feel that way? Please say no. I do think that lavender is kind of like cilantro though, where half of the people who eat it think it tastes amazing and flavorful and adds the perfect touch to dishes, while the other half think it tastes like soap.
Yes, lavender is basically just like cilantro in that regard. But what about when it’s paired with espresso? Eh?! Do we love it? I think/hope we do, ‘cause that’s what we’ve got going on today.
I’m basically always trying to add lavender and espresso to all my recipes whenever possible. Like this lavender cake, for example. You just can’t go wrong, and both flavors are very breakfast-y if you ask me. Or dessert-y, but today we’re going with breakfast. These espresso pancakes can be made with espresso powder or instant coffee, whichever one you have on hand and/or is easier for you to acquire.
And if we’re getting technical, these are actually espresso pancakes with a lavender glaze. Mhmmmm. To make the glaze, you’ll whip up a simple lavender syrup—think lavender, sugar and water—and then combine that with powdered sugar. …..and then you’ll want to put it on everything! Like ALL THE DESSERTS.
Note: though I topped these pancakes with dried lavender in the photos, I don’t recommend actually doing this! It looks nice, but eating straight lavender is the opposite of nice. Just saying.
Also, don’t forget the maple syrup! The only thing better than lavender+espresso is lavender, espresso and maple syrup.
Lavender Espresso Pancakes
for the pancakes:
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 1-2 tbsp espresso powder or instant coffee
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 egg
for the glaze:
- 3 tbsp lavender syrup
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
for the lavender syrup:
- 1 tbsp culinary lavender
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Start by making the lavender syrup. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil; then, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow syrup to cool before using.
- Next, create the glaze: whisk syrup and sugar together until smooth; set aside.
- For the pancakes: add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Grease a nonstick skillet with coconut oil or nonstick spray, then pour a little bit of the pancake batter into the skillet. Wait until batter bubbles, then carefully flip over and cook the other side. Repeat this process until all the batter is gone.
- To serve: place pancakes on a plate then drizzle with the lavender glaze. Top with maple syrup if desired.