Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Hello hello happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was very relaxing and involved seeing Cass and Angela, spending time at the Farmer’s Market and a few kitchen successes, this being one of them…
If you’re from Pittsburgh then you’ve heard of (and probably eaten) Pittsburgh Popcorn. Pittsburgh Popcorn offers a ton of different popcorn flavors some new every month and some permanent to the business. When I was in college, I was a member of the event-planning committee and, as a group, we would always agree that Pittsburgh Popcorn needed to be present at every single event. It just did. And when they offered chocolate peanut butter popcorn we would always order it, no questions asked.
Well let’s fast forward a lot and rewind a little to a few days ago when I was in the mall and saw a Pittsburgh Popcorn in the food court. I immediately got a craving for it but had already purchased a soft serve ice cream cone. Ohhhhh the dilemma. BUT, dilemma no more! I recreated the Pittsburgh favorite over the weekend and I was quite pleased with how it turned out.
See, I’d never popped my own popcorn, but I’d been wanting to for some time. It seemed pretty simple and inexpensive compared to buying boxed popcorn. You guys—it takes just as long as it does to microwave popcorn and something about it just tastes fresher. I don’t even know if that makes sense but I’m rolling with it. Besides this being so easy and FRESH, this chocolate peanut butter popcorn will curb your salty AND sweet cravings—bingo! And, if you’re feeling really fancy, you can add it on top of this cake recipe. WOO!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup organic popcorn kernels
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp salt
- In a medium-large skillet, heat canola oil on medium heat.
- After a few minutes, place a few popcorn kernels into the oil. Once they pop, then the oil is warm enough.
- Throw the rest of the popcorn kernels into the skillet and place a lid on top. As the popcorn is popping be sure to gently shake the skillet to ensure that all of the popcorn gets popped. Once the popcorn is done, pour it onto a baking sheet.
- Next, put the chocolate chips into a microwave safe dish and microwave until melted, stirring every 20 seconds. Once melted, drizzle overtop of popcorn.
- Repeat the same process with the peanut butter.
- Lastly, sprinkle with salt.
Q: Last time you’ve eaten something chocolate-peanut butter? … note: if it’s been longer than a month then you should probably make this ASAP, just sayin’ 😉