This Sesame Tofu Quinoa Bowl is made with quinoa, veggies like broccoli and carrots, and fried tofu coated in a soy sauce and sesame marinade.
I’m on the tofu train and I’m not coming off anytime soon! Luckily I’ve gotten Miguel on board, which is shocking, but also wonderful at the same time. Recently, we’ve been eating some sort of tofu dish (ok, ok, this dish, specifically) once a week. It’s a nice change of pace, but I had been feeling like we needed to switch up even our current tofu routine.
Sesame tofu to the rescue!
In my opinion, the key to a good tofu dish is making sure the tofu is not soggy. EW—soggy tofu is the worst. But crispy tofu? MMMMM. So, you want to make sure you press out as much liquid as you can (a tofu press helps), then you coat it in a bit of flour before frying it in oil in a large skillet. If that sounds at all complicated, I promise you it’s not.
Tip: it helps to fry the tofu in batches. If you’re frying an entire block of tofu, sometimes the skillet gets a bit crowded. It helps to cook half the tofu, then set it aside before cooking the other half.
I will say that one reason I love soy sauce/tamari and sesame dishes is because I always always always have soy sauce and sesame oil on hand. It’s pretty convenient.
Besides the tofu, this tofu quinoa bowl includes quinoa and veggies like carrots and broccoli in this recipe too. Gotta get those veggies in ya know? Especially towards the beginning of the week.
I’m all about it!Print
Sesame Tofu Quinoa Bowl
This Sesame Tofu Quinoa Bowl is made with quinoa and veggies like broccoli and carrots and topped with fried tofu in a sesame soy sauce marinade.
- 1 block super firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce*
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour or arrowroot starch
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil or oil of choice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
for the marinade:
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour or arrowroot starch
for the bowl:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped
- 1-2 long carrots, peeled
- 2 tbsp green onion
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°. Put broccoli in a bowl, then drizzle it with 2 tbsp olive oil; pour onto a baking sheet and roast until broccoli is cooked to your liking (I like mine a little crispy!)
- Next, place the cubed tofu into a ziploc bag; add the soy sauce and flour, zip the bag, then shake everything until the tofu is coated.
- Heat a large skillet with oil over medium heat, then place the tofu into the skillet, frying until crispy. You may need to do this in batches if your skillet isn’t big enough.
- While the tofu is frying, make the marinade. Whisk syrup, sesame oil, soy sauce, and flour together in a bowl and set aside.
- Once the tofu is cooked, place all of it back into the skillet (or leave it in the skillet), reduce the heat to low and add the garlic. Stir for approximately one minute, turn off the heat, then pour the marinade into the skillet, stirring until tofu is coated.
- To assemble: place quinoa in a bowl and then top it with the roasted broccoli, carrot slices, and fried tofu. Add the green onions and sesame seeds and enjoy!
*Or sub tamari in place of soy sauce