Enjoy these simple and crispy Smashed Potatoes topped with kale pesto as a vegan-friendly side dish or appetizer!
Guys I made smashed potatoes and they’re just as amazing as I’d always hoped they’d be. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside—ugh, so good.
Also, it’s Friday. How did that happen?!! This week literally flew by. Tonight is my birthday dinner with Miguel and Sunday is my birthday dinner with the family (real birthday is not until Tuesday though!). Shalala, I really do love this time of year, though I must admit I haven’t exactly started planning Thanksgiving recipes for the blog quite yet. ….adding that to my weekend to-do list. I’ve mentioned that I work in advance but not that far in advance, so Thanksgiving still feels so far away, but it’s really not. I’ll most likely blink and it’ll be here because that’s how quickly time goes by as an adult.
Seriously… do you remember how you’d always wish time away as a kid? I do. I remember constantly wishing it was Christmas break then spring break then summertime, but it always felt like time went by so slowly and it’d take forever for those exciting life events to happen. Now? Now it’s quite the opposite and I often find myself wishing time would slow down! Or at least that there were more hours in the day, especially on days like today where it’s cloudy and gloomy and I’ve hardly gotten any work done because all I want to do is cuddle my dog and drink TEA.
Speaking of which, thank you for all of your tea suggestions. I’m easing into it by drinking Tazo chai tea, but I swear I’ll branch out soon! I do love chai tea though, and even though it’s kind of warm outside, my apartment is chilly and I’m pretending it’s cold to justify the coziness of the tea. Makes sense.
Ok so, these potatoes are everything you’ve ever wanted in a side dish. I’d also say they’re an appropriate appetizer, but I made them as a dinner side one night and they were perfectooooo.
For whatever reason, I opted to add shredded parmesan to my kale pesto recipe. Yes, yes the one I use for everythingggg—I don’t know why, but I felt like it needed a little oomph, so cheese was (clearly) the answer. If you want to keep this recipe vegan, just omit the cheese.
I also wasn’t sure how to place the pesto on the potatoes and have it still look appetizing. Please know they taste delicious, despite the blobbyness (<—blobby-ness? blobbiness?) of the pesto!
- 2 lb. baby yellow potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For the pesto:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ½ cup kale
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp water*
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil; boil until potatoes are cooked.
- While potatoes are cooking, make the pesto.
- Combine all pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until combined; set aside.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain them and then place them on two separate baking sheets.
- Use a fork or potato masher to carefully smash the potatoes.
- Brush each potato with a bit of olive oil (I like to pour the olive oil in a ramekin and use a marinade brush for this), and then sprinkle each one with salt and pepper.
- Place baking sheets in the oven and bake the potatoes for approximately 20 minutes, or until the potato skins become crispy.
- Top each potato with a spoonful of pesto and enjoy!