This Vegan Coconut French Toast is made with coconut milk and topped with shredded coconut, coconut cream and caramelized bananas!
While making this recipe—maybe five minutes in—I thought to myself, I think I have a recipe just like this on my blog. I often develop similar recipes, especially when they involve coconut because I LOVE coconut, but I quite literally have this same recipe in chia pudding form: my toasted coconut chia pudding. Ha! And now you’re getting coconut French toast, aka the French toast version of that recipe.
What can I say? Coconut is my fave, and it especially gets me going when paired with banana and walnuts and coconut cream. Breakfast dreams, snack dreams, dessert dreams—just dreamy all around, really.
People (still) often ask me how I come up with recipe ideas. I think this one was me subconsciously craving my chia pudding and forever craving coconut flavored things (and bread). Always bread. So yeah, sometimes I go the creative route and come up with strange but good combos, and other times my recipes are based on my own personal cravings. Strange? Maybe, but it’s true.
Similar to waffles and pancakes, I really don’t think you can go wrong with French toast. What’s not to love? This coconut French toast is vegan, meaning instead of using egg, it’s made with coconut milk, all purpose flour, coconut sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, and some shredded coconut. OH YES.
And of course it’s topped with all the goods! The coconut cream is optional, but I recommend whipping it up while making the French toast. It’s simply canned coconut cream, powdered sugar and coconut sugar all mixed together and it pairs perfectly with this French toast.Print
Vegan Coconut French Toast
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- 10 slices of bread
- 1 can (13 oz) coconut milk
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- For topping:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- For coconut cream:
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Whisk milk, water, flour, sugar, and cinnamon together, then stir in the shredded coconut.
- Next, dip bread into the coconut mixture for about 10 seconds, then place it directly onto a skillet over medium heat. Cook the bread for 2-3 minutes on each side, repeating this process until the milk is gone (should be about 10 slices of bread).
- To caramelize the bananas: heat coconut oil in a skillet, then add the bananas and sprinkle them with coconut sugar, stirring frequently until bananas are soft and a caramel color on top.
- To make the coconut cream: whisk cream and both sugars together until smooth.
- Enjoy french toast with all the toppings!