These Vegan Coconut Cupcakes are made with coconut milk, coconut oil and shredded coconut and are topped with a simple dairy free blood orange buttercream!
It’s my favorite season! No, not winter—blood orange season! And I don’t even looooove blood oranges!!!
I like them, but what I really love is the color of them. Ya know? I mean, they’re just so pretty! They’re pink and sometimes dark purple and sometimes orange-y pink and they make all food beautiful and every year I feel the need to make at least three blood orange recipes. It’s the best. My favorite from 2016 was probably my vanilla blood orange cake and last year it was my blood orange hot chocolate. I just can’t get enough. Plus I just love adding orange to desserts. While I don’t love oranges by themselves, I do love oranges+sugar. I’ve already made two blood orange recipes so far, these vegan coconut cupcakes being the first.
I’m very sure you guys can’t tell a difference, but these photos were taken at my moms house, and the lighting is just SO MUCH BETTER. I can’t handle it. I’m almost mad that I’m back in my apartment now. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, I basically have been living with my mom for the past four days (long story short), and she has a huge window in her living room. Not only that though, but I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the way her house is facing the sun vs. the way my apartment faces the sun, if that makes sense.
If you’re not a photographer/food blogger, this is a really boring conversation and I apologize.
Back to cupcakes!
I followed this recipe to a “T” because it is my favorite and because it’s gotten great reviews. Oh actually, I used all purpose flour instead of whole wheat, but both work! For the icing, I used vegan butter, blood orange juice and powered sugar. SO EASY. I used the cupcakes like the lazy person I am and did not pipe them. I envy people who pipe their cupcakes because I just can’t get myself to do it. I want to be that person, but I’m not that person.
These cupcakes got the thumbs up not only from Miguel, who typically has to approve of all my recipes before them make it onto the blog, but also from my mom and stepdad, so YAY.
Vegan Coconut Cupcakes with Blood Orange ButtercreamPrint Rate
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups raw cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 can approx. 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- For the buttercream:
- 2 tbsp vegan butter softened
- Juice from 1 blood orange
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Next, melt coconut oil either in the microwave or over the stovetop and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla; then, combine wet and dry ingredients with an electric mixer. Then, add in the coconut oil.
- Last, stir in the shredded coconut by hand.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and divide batter evenly. Bake muffins for around 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before icing them.
- For the buttercream: Whisk butter and orange juice with an electric mixer, then add the powdered sugar until everything is smooth.
- Add buttercream to cupcakes, sprinkle each cupcake with a bit of shredded coconut and enjoy!