This Chocolate Bananas Foster Sandwich is made with dairy free chocolate ganache, bananas and a simple caramel sauce. YUM!
Um…. I don’t know what to say. Apparently I’m all about desserts and then salad and now desserts again this month. The month that is supposed to be health. But, the heart wants what it wants, and today it wants a chocolate bananas foster sandwich.
Originally, I was just going to make a chocolate banana sandwich, which technically would have been “good enough” considering the chocolate is GANACHE—aka super rich—but I was like nahhh, it needs something else. Then I thought caramel sauce, obviously. In full transparency, I didn’t add rum to the caramel sauce, mostly because I didn’t serve this sandwich with ice cream. HOWEVER, if you want to take this sandwich to another level, I recommend adding a splash of rum to the caramel sauce and then serving vanilla ice cream on the side.
Oh my gosh honestly? Why did I not do that?!! Regretting life.
Anyway! I think what I love about this bananas foster sandwich is that it’s quick because you don’t have to wait for the ganache to completely cool and harden. The total time for this baby should be somewhere between 10-15 minutes, which isn’t too shabby for a dessert! Well, that is if you already have the caramel sauce on hand, which you should at all times! You can always make it, store it in the refrigerator, and then reheat it over the stove top before you want to use it. Easy!
Chocolate craving? Caramel craving? No problem!Print
Vegan Chocolate Bananas Foster Sandwich
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 1-2 1x
- 1 cup dark chocolate*
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 slices your favorite bread
- 1 tbsp dairy free butter
- 1 banana
- Healthier caramel sauce
- Optional: splash of rum
- Optional: vanilla ice cream!
- Chop up the dark chocolate and place it in a bowl; set aside.
- Next, heat the coconut milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat. As soon as small bubbles start to form on top–you want it to be warm, but you don’t want it to come anywhere close to boiling–pour coconut milk over chopped chocolate and wait 5 minutes.
- Once 5 minutes have passed, use a spatula to stir chocolate and milk together to form a thick ganache.**
- Next, prepare the sandwich similarly to how you would a grilled cheese. Spread butter on one side of one piece of bread and place the bread butter side down in a skillet. Then add a giant spoonful of ganache onto the other side of that bread, and then add the banana (I sliced mine in half), and then top it with the other piece of bread.
- Cook sandwich on both sides until golden brown.
- Serve sandwich alongside caramel sauce, and if you wish, alongside some vanilla ice cream as well.
*check to make sure chocolate is vegan-friendly. typically darker chocolate (I used 85%) is–just check the ingredients to be sure!
**At this point, the ganache should be thick and spreadable, and if it’s not, give it a few minutes because it will thicken up a bit as it cools down. If it’s still too thin, you can add a little more chopped chocolate, though you may need to reheat the entire mixture over the stove, THEN add the additional (I’d say no more than 1/4 cup) chopped chocolate.