Enjoy this Toasted Almond French Toast every weekend! It’s made with almond extract and cardamom and topped with ricotta and toasted almonds. YUM.
Okkk I need to hop off the almond train. ….or do I? I would probably use almond as my flavor of choice for at least half of my recipes if I could—it’s subtly sweet and something different than chocolate or vanilla, ya know? Also, I’m currently sitting at a juice bar that’s 81° inside—I can see the thermostat—so clearly their AC is broken, but I’ve already committed to sitting here and writing this post, so now I’ll just do so while sweating I suppose.
Aside from feeling a bit warm, I’m doing quite well! Oh and as a side note, any carb or sugar-filled recipe you see in the next two weeks is one that I created a few weeks prior, just FYI. Boy what I’d give for a piece of almond french toast right about now…. but I won’t! I can’t! I’m not a quitter. …that’s not entirely true. I’m a quitter if I think something is “stupid”, but I’m trying to find purpose in the Whole30 and am hoping to come to some sort of conclusion…and now I’m just rambling.
PS if you didn’t already see, Sweet Peas Meals launched this week! It’s the project I helped out with—mostly just food styling and photography—and I’m so excited that people seem to be loving it so far. I’m all about meals that require little thinking (aren’t we all?!).
Ok so NOW to this french toast! I mean guys, it’s basic french toast (because there’s nothing wrong with being basic) with the addition of almond extract and a pinch of cardamom. The actual french toast recipe is vegan, but the ricotta topping is not… if you’re vegan and have your own vegan ricotta recipe or want to use coconut whipped cream instead, be my guest! I had regular ricotta in my fridge that was about to expire, so I used good old fashioned ricotta on top of the toast and it was mighty tasty if I do say so myself.
Oh! You can’t forget the toasted almonds! I like using sliced almonds, but basically you’ll just throw them on a baking sheet and toast them for 8-10 minutes, which really helped to bring out the flavor. MMMM, so good.
Do me a favor and enjoy a piece of this almond french toast for me, won’t you? THANKS.Print
Toasted Almond French Toast
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 8 slices
- 8 slices bread (I used brioche bread and it was delicious!)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of cardamom
- For the ricotta:
- 1/2 cup ricotta*
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Handful of toasted almonds for topping+fresh fruit
- Whisk milk, flour, almond extract, syrup, cardamom, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Dip bread into mixture and place it directly onto a skillet and heat over medium-high and cook until both sides have set. Repeat the same process for all of the bread.
- For the ricotta: Stir ricotta, syrup and almond extract together, and then place a spoonful of it on top of french toast.
- Top french toast with toasted almonds and fresh berries. To toast almonds, simply heat oven to 350°, place almonds on a baking sheet and toast them for 8-10 minutes, checking every 2 minutes or so to make sure they don’t burn.
*To keep this recipe vegan, feel free to use your own vegan ricotta recipe OR to use coconut whipped cream instead, or omit all together and simply top french toast with toasted almonds and fresh fruit!