Enjoy this Toasted Almond French Toast every weekend! It’s made with almond extract and cardamom and topped with ricotta and toasted almonds. YUM.
This almond french toast is made with brioche bread, is egg-free and still perfectly crispy. Oh, and it’s topped with ricotta for extra deliciousness. You really can’t go wrong when your morning starts with french toast.
ALMOND FRENCH TOAST RECIPE
This is my favorite french toast recipe because, as you might have guessed, I love anything and everything almond flavored. This recipe doesn’t include any eggs, meaning it’s vegan if you sub out the ricotta (I’ve included substitution options in the recipe below). You can use regular bread or, if you’re feeling fancy, opt for brioche bread. Other ingredients include:
- maple syrup
- almond extract
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST
- Combine the wet ingredients: I recommend using an actual whisk to whisk the milk and spices together.
- Soak the bread: dip the bread one slice at a time in the milk mixture for 30 seconds or so, then place it directly into the hot skillet.
The actual french toast recipe is vegan, but the ricotta topping is not… if you’re vegan and have your own vegan ricotta recipe or want to use coconut whipped cream instead, be my guest! I had regular ricotta in my fridge that was about to expire, so I used good old fashioned ricotta on top of the toast and it was mighty tasty if I do say so myself.
Oh! You can’t forget the toasted almonds! I like using sliced almonds, but basically you’ll just throw them on a baking sheet and toast them for 8-10 minutes, which really helped to bring out the flavor. MMMM, so good.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES
Toasted Almond French Toast
- 8 slices bread I used brioche bread and it was delicious!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of cardamom
For the ricotta:
- 1/2 cup ricotta*
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Handful of toasted almonds for topping+fresh fruit
- Whisk milk, flour, almond extract, syrup, cardamom, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Dip bread into mixture and place it directly onto a skillet and heat over medium-high and cook until both sides have set. Repeat the same process for all of the bread.
- For the ricotta: Stir ricotta, syrup and almond extract together, and then place a spoonful of it on top of french toast.
- Top french toast with toasted almonds and fresh berries. To toast almonds, simply heat oven to 350°, place almonds on a baking sheet and toast them for 8-10 minutes, checking every 2 minutes or so to make sure they don't burn.