These Cauliflower Sweet Potato Meatballs are dairy free, made in the food processor and topped with a sweet and salty teriyaki sauce.
Sweet potato meatballs are now a thing! I figured since you guys love my cauliflower quinoa meatballs so much, that I should try whipping up a different version: cauliflower sweet potato meatballs with teriyaki sauce!
I had a “moment” the other day when referring to an upcoming event. I said something along the lines of “oh, well that’s happening at the end of July, right?”. WOOF. We’re into August now which means the summer is coming to an end. I feel like this time of year always makes me reflect, mostly on whether or not I did all that I wanted to do throughout the summer. This year I can finally say that I did. This summer has been filled with friends, family, travel, and lots and LOTS of good food.
I’m always searching for creative ways to eat vegetables, and as much as I love a good side of roasted cauliflower, I also really enjoy cauliflower in meatball form. Yes, they take a little longer to prep, but certainly not much longer than regular meat-filled meatballs. If you’re someone who meal preps, you’ll really love these because they DO freeze well. Woohoo!
Essentially you’ll combine everything in your food processor, then sauté the meatballs in a skillet until they’re cooked on all sides. That’s it! They’re going to be a bit softer than regular meatballs, but if you freeze them first they’ll firm up and stay that way once reheated.
Note: I do recommend pouring the sauce over top after the meatballs are done, rather than adding it to the skillet like I say to do in previous vegan meatball recipes.
Serve ‘em on top of salad, as a side or even as a sandwich. The sauce makes this recipe; however, you can easily omit it and use your own favorite sauce as dipping sauce if you prefer. I hope you love these! Remember to tag @thealmondeater if you make them.
Teriyaki Cauliflower Sweet Potato Meatballs
for the meatballs:
- 2 roasted sweet potatoes
- 4 cups cooked cauliflower
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup breadcrumbs*
- 3 tbsp flour of choice
for the sauce:
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp flour of choice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Start by making the sauce: simply whisk all ingredients together in a bowl then set aside.
- Place the cooked sweet potatoes and cauliflower, along with the garlic, into your food processor and pulse until combined. You may need to do this in batches.
- Pour mixture out into a bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs and flour by hand.
- Use your hands to form mixture into "meatballs".
- Heat a small amount of oil (I used olive oil) into a large nonstick skillet and add meatballs a few at a time, cooking over medium-high heat until all sides are golden and crispy on the edges. Repeat this process until all the meatball mix is gone.
- Before serving, pour some of the teriyaki sauce over top of the meatballs.