Enjoy a big ‘ole bowl of polenta for breakfast. This Strawberry Polenta Breakfast Bowl is filled with almonds and coconut and topped with a tasty strawberry compote.
Can I admit something to you without you judging me? I’m going to answer that with a “NO”, but I’m going to tell you anyway.
I didn’t know polenta was cornmeal. Wait wait, what? Did you know that? Does everyone know that??? Like, I’ve eaten it so many times and I never knew that.
Food blogger fail, or simply a human fail? Definitely the latter. Now that we’ve got THAT awkwardness out of the way, let’s talk about this dish.
Actually no..let’s talk about my misunderstanding for one sec. Ya see, I’d only ever eaten polenta in solidified polenta loaf form, never from a box. THEN one day I was in the pasta aisle in the grocery store and I spotted a box of polenta. Seriously, mind=blown. I purchased the box, went home and Google imaged “polenta” and, much to my dismay, polenta is “a dish of boiled cornmeal”.
Apparently I’m still in shock.
Ok now let’s talk about this recipe. I originally made a salty polenta dish with chickpeas and, while it was good, it wasn’t great. I thought about remaking it but opted to scrap it all together and go for something sweet instead. This recipe is simple: polenta with cinnamon, almonds, coconut, and a strawberry compote. It’s warm like oatmeal but with a much better texture (I’M SORRY BUT TEXTURE MATTERS). Also, I may have eaten half of this warm right after I made it and then put the rest in the refrigerator and eaten it cold the next day. Yup, I did, and it was still good. Don’t believe me? Try it! Oh! And even though it takes an extra five minutes, I recommend toasting both the coconut and the almonds to allow the flavors to truly come out. Ya ya ya you must.
Clearly I’m not pretending to be a polenta expert, but I AM completely certain that you’ll love this polenta breakfast bowl. If anything, this recipe is the perfect way to get out of a breakfast rut or simply switch it up from time to time.
Also, if you really want to know the “difference” (even though there’s not much of a difference in my opinion…) between cornmeal and polenta, read this post.
Strawberry Polenta Breakfast BowlPrint Rate
- 9 oz. polenta
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3 tbsp butter I used dairy free to keep it vegan
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut toasted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- Drizzle of honey
- Strawberry compote: 1 cup sliced strawberries and 2 tbsp orange juice
- Make polenta with water in a saucepan over stovetop according to the instructions on the package.
- In a separate saucepan, make the strawberry compote by adding the strawberries and orange juice together and bringing to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and slowly start to mash the strawberries down into small, bite-size pieces. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350° and place coconut and almonds on a baking sheet.
- Toast almonds and coconut for approximately 5 minutes or until slightly browned; set aside.
- Once polenta is done cooking, transfer to a bowl and then stir in butter, cinnamon, almonds and coconut.
- Top with strawberry compote, drizzle with honey and enjoy!
Q: Did you know polenta was basically cornmeal??!