Brrrr, is everyone keeping warm today? I don’t know about where you are but where I am it is 8° and all I want to do is snuggle under the covers and eat something warm. When I think of warm food/drinks, the first things that come to mind are:
Literally, those are the first things that came to my mind. I’m probably missing something super warm and popular, but that’s ok because today I am talking about numero dos: soup. Soup has always been one of my favorite wintertime foods. Back when I used to go play out in the snow for hours at a time, I always knew there would be a big bowl of soup waiting for me when I arrived home. That’s just the way my mama rolled.
Soup is still one of my favorite winter foods. I’m not going to lie, canned soup was a popular choice last year. However, this year I’m trying to make homemade soup more frequently—not only is it better for you but homemade anything just tastes better.
This is a hearty vegetable soup topped with avocado and Trader Joe’s Spicy Soy & Flaxseed Tortilla Chips. Have you guys tried those chips? They are so delicious and pretty healthy for a chip—the perfect crunchy topping.
Spicy Harvest Grain Vegetable Soup
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- 3 c. low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 3/4 c. water
- 1 c. harvest grain mixture from Trader Joe’s (or rice)
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 1 can black beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp southwest chipotle seasoning
- Juice from 1 lime
- salt to taste
- 1 avocado
- Spicy tortilla chips for the the topping
- Cook black beans and corn in separate pots over stovetop.
- Cook harvest grain mixture over stovetop in another pot according to the instructions on the bag.
- Mince garlic cloves; Place in large skillet with olive oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes; Add in vegetable broth.
- Once everything is cooked, place corn, beans, grains, and broth into a large bowl; Mix together.
- Add spices to the mix: chili powder, pepper flakes, chipotle seasoning, and salt.
- Last, add the lime juice.
- Once soup is distributed into bowls, add the avocado and tortilla chips.
Q: What’s one of your favorite wintertime foods/drinks?