These tuna burgers are packed with protein and flavor and only require six ingredients! A simple, healthy weekday lunch or weeknight dinner.
Whenever I hear someone talk about tuna or even just the word ‘tuna’, I instantly think of the Instagram account Tuna Melts My Heart. Have you seen it? It’s hilarious. I recommend searching and following immediately. After that, my second thought when I hear ‘tuna’ is cat food. Great, huh? This burger is neither cat food nor a dog with an awesome underbite.
What this burger is, however, is super flavorful and crazy simple to make. Picture tuna+onion+lemon juice. If you’re a tuna lover, then you gotta admit that combo sounds good. YOU MUST. Ok now one thing I have to admit is that I’d never made a homemade burger before. I’d been wanting to make a veggie burger recipe for the blog but decided on tuna after realizing that I had a few cans sitting on my pantry that needed to be eaten. Guess the veg burger will have to be made another time. These tuna burgers kind of steal the spotlight, though, ESPECIALLY when topped with avocado, tomato and sriracha sauce.
I was on a huge sriracha kick last year and kinda forgot about it until a few weeks ago. I’m happy to report it’s back in my life! Obviously the sriracha sauce is optional, but if you’re looking for a spicy tuna burger, sriracha is your best bet.
Do you wanna know the best part about these burgers? They combine protein (tuna) AND healthy fats (avocado) into one burger. Unlike the sriracha, the avocado is not optional. I’m kidding, it totally is. But it’s not because avocados are THE BEST BURGER TOPPER OF ALL TIME. They seriously are. If you haven’t tried avocado on a burger yet (first of all, where have you been??) you must try it! Also, if you haven’t tried making burgers out of tuna DO IT DO IT DO IT.
Can we just note how there is a chunk missing from the bottom burger bun? I guess you could say I was starving…Print
Skinny Tuna Burgers
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 8 burgers 1x
- 2 cans tuna (5 oz. each)
- 1 can chickpeas (16 oz.)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (I used SO Delicious unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (approx. 1 tbsp)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place onion and chickpeas into a food processor and pulse. Remove and place in a large bowl; add tuna and mix together.
- Add yogurt, bread crumbs and lemon juice to the bowl; mix well. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Using your hands, form mixture into patties/burgers and place on a baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in the refrigerator for at least 30 mins, allowing the burgers to hold shape.
- Once they are more solid, remove from refrigerator.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and place burgers (I did 2 at a time) in skillet. Cook for 1-2 mins per side and then carefully flip. Cook until they are golden brown on each side.
- Place burger on bun and add additional toppings if you wish.
Q: Avocado on your burger? Favorite ‘type’ of burger (i.e. beef, turkey, veggie, TUNA)?