Your guests will never believe this Raw Vegan Espresso Pie is healthy! The crust is made from almonds and dates and the filling is made from soaked cashews, brewed coffee and espresso beans—it’s a coffee lover’s dream!
There are few things I enjoy more than coffee. Perhaps puppies and hanging out with my friends, but that’s about it. Oh, and coffee flavored things of course. Coffee cookies, coffee cake, coffee muffins, coffee flavored ice cream, and now coffee PIE. Hopefully we’re on the same page here because it is uhhh-mazing.
Shall we back back back back it up first though? Yes, we shall.
We stopped and everyone got off the bus. I stood in the plaza just staring at my options, or rather, my greasy food options staring back at me. I felt disgusted and then my stomach started growling. And then, because I knew I only had 20 minutes, I ordered hash browns from McDonald’s. And then, 30 minutes later, I was hungry again. I was too….embarrassed? ashamed? disgusted?….with ordering anything else, and so I chose to starve the entire way back. I felt that ordering something more substantial would be going against everything I talk about here on TAE—eating healthy and fueling your body with real food. Looking back on this moment, it doesn’t really make sense. If I could go back in time, I would have just ordered an egg McMuffin or whatever and life would have gone on. I wouldn’t have died, I wouldn’t have gained weight, nothing would have happened to me, and i wouldn’t have been as hungry the entire way home.
The whole ordeal fascinates me, really. Though I believe in eating healthy, non processed foods as often as possible, sometimes that just isn’t an option, and I have to be ok with that. WE have to be ok with that. Otherwise, we will drive ourselves crazy, and what good does that do?
Do you really want to know what would have made the entire experience better? If McDonald’s sold raw vegan anything (I’m laughing at the thought), specifically raw vegan espresso pie.
But really—let’s just pretend that’s real life. …or not. My imagination doesn’t expand to such unrealistic ideas. Instead, let’s just make this STUPID SIMPLE pie at home, mk? The crust is like all my other raw vegan desserts—dates+some sort of nut, in this case almonds. The filling is made from soaked cashews, dates, brewed coffee, and a few crushed espresso beans.
Are you drooling yet? COFFEE LOVERS UNITE, because this is good. I’m not saying you should eat this for breakfast in place of your cup ‘o joe, but maybe I am. It’s good. If you do, you should definitely Instagram it and then tag me in the photo because I love love love seeing your TAE creations! Seriously.
In conclusion, when it comes to McDonald’s vs. Starvation, choose food, and when it comes to coffee vs. espresso pie, choose both. Duh.Print
Raw Vegan Espresso Pie
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 6-12 pieces 1x
- 1 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp cacao
- 1 1/2 cup soaked cashews*
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp+1 tsp cacao
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 3 tbsp organic maple syrup
- 3 pitted dates
- 1 tbsp+1 tsp espresso beans
- For the crust: combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse. It may take awhile to crush everything up so be patient–no more than a minute though.
- Spray a pie pan or round cake pan (I used an 8 inch cake pan, but either will work) with nonstick spray or coconut oil and, using a spatula, flatten crust out in bottom. Rub spatula over mixture so that it is smooth and then place in freezer.
- For the filling: combine cashews and water in a blender and pulse until mixture turns smooth.
- Add in cacao, coffee and syrup and blend.
- Lastly, add in dates and espresso beans.
- Remove crust from freezer and pour filling overtop, using a spatula to smoothen out if needed.
- Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes or until mixture hardens; cut into slices and serve.
- Store in freezer or refrigerator–either will work.
*Soak cashews in water for at least 6 hours ahead of time.
Q: What would you do if you were in my situation? Have you ever been in a similar situation? If so, what’d ya do?!
If you like this, you’ll love..