Chocolate and orange come together perfectly in these Orange Scones with Chocolate Mascarpone Glaze. If you’ve never made your own scones, you must give these a try—they’re so easy!
It’s a scones kinda day! …though maybe you feel differently? It IS the week after Thanksgiving after all, and maybe you’re feeling salads more than scones, but hear me out. It’s about to be DECEMBER in a few short days, and December is absolutely the month of cookies, candy, chocolate, scones, and all things sweet. Can we at least agree on that? I’m just getting a head start on all things delicious.
As I was making these orange scones I realized that I’ve already posted an orange scones recipe before (HAHA hate myself), buuuuuuut, these scones are different, mainly in that my first scones recipe was vegan and these are not. …which isn’t on purpose—not at all actually, especially considering I forgot about my first scones recipe all together or I at least would have made these a different flavor. *smashes hand to forehead* Oh well. I like these even better than my first recipe though, so consider these the new and improved orange scones!
Also, I’m going through a major mascarpone phase and I’m not mad about it. It’s an excellent base for icings and glazes and a nice change of pace from the regular milk+powdered sugar. If you’re at all intimidated by scones, don’t be! The “hardest” part is shaping the dough into a circle, which isn’t hard at all. Of course if you’ve made scones before then you know they’re easy peasy and totally impressive. Everyone expects you to make cookies this time of year, but scones?! WHOA, you fancy.
This is typically the part in each post where I provide you with tips and tricks for making the recipe perfectly, but I truly feel the recipe is self explanatory. I made these scones three times—the first time was a total fail and the second two times were just to make sure they turned out the same and therefore juuuuust right when you make them.
As always, remember to tag #thealmondeater on Instagram if you make this recipe—I love seeing your creations!
Orange Scones with Chocolate Mascarpone GlazePrint Rate
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cane sugar or sub granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice from 1 orange
- Zest from 2 oranges
- For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Add butter in and use your hands to combine butter with dry ingredients until the butter is completely crumbled.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, yogurt, vanilla, orange juice, and orange zest together.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and use an electric mixer to combine everything. The dough should be a bit sticky--that's ok!.
- Flour a baking mat and place dough on the mat, applying flour to the dough itself so it doesn't stick to your hands.
- Use your hands to form dough into a flattened circle, about 1/2" thick. Next, use a knife to make 4 cuts, which will create 8 scones.
- Carefully transfer the scones onto a baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- While scones are cooling, make the icing.
- Combine mascarpone, powdered sugar and milk together in a bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate together and then add melted chocolate to bowl; stir everything together. If mixture seems too thick, add an additional tablespoon of milk.
- Drizzle glaze overtop scones.